Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2013 Data Shortcuts Dissapearing

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
langrobbins4254
347 Views, 2 Replies

Civil 3D 2013 Data Shortcuts Dissapearing

I was wondering if anyone else has been having this issue with shortcuts, our surface data randomly dissapears from our drawings. We setup our drawings basically as follows: Topo drawing has a surface in it, master or base drawing has linework, utilities, etc... and profile drawings have the profiles in it, we create data shortcuts for all of these items so we can ref them into which ever drawing we need. For instance, our sheet drawings that we use pretty much for printing will have drawings xref'd in (topo, master, profiles, etc...) and it will have surface, pipe and other data shortcuts ref'd in. The surface dissapears sometimes will disappear from the drawing, it will show up in the prospector tab and it you can select it, right click and select properties, the statistics tab is blank, no elevation info, coordinate info, completely balnk. At the bottom of prospector tab, under data shortcuts, it is still there, but our profiles that we have spent much time on putting in storm, san and water pipes and notes will have no existing grade in it. The only way we have figured out to get around it is once we create a profile form surface, trace it with a polyline so when it does dissappear, at least we have something. Not sure if it is a Civil 3D issue or something on our end.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
rkmcswain
in reply to: langrobbins4254

I have seen exactly what you describe on co-workers machines, but not on mine. (C3D 2013)

IMO, I blame drive letters because virtually everything else is the same on all of our machines.

I know they are mixing drive letters and UNC paths when opening drawings, xrefing drawings, creating data shortcuts, etc.

I realize that in theory it shouldn't matter but I've never been able to figure it out other than what I mentioned

I do everything with full UNC paths and I've never had this happen.

I can't prove it obviously, but it might be something to look at.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 3
langrobbins4254
in reply to: rkmcswain

Most of the time when it happens, it does happen by chance when multiple people are working on the same project. But this morning, I was the only one working on a particular project, I started up a new drawing, ref'd in my surface, alignment and pipe data to generate a profile for an engineer to take with him when he left at lunch time and everything was good and looked good. I saved the drawing, closed it and after lunch I opened the drawing to start creating profiles of the other streets, the one I created this morning of the existing grade... was gone! Went to the prospector and like I said before, the surface was there but all the data was blank. This is getting extremely aggrevating, so many issues with the software, I don't know how the heck we are supposed to get anything done sometimes? I wonder if this is fixed 2014 or 2015?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report