Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2012 SP3 (Update 3)

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
JeffPaulsen
819 Views, 17 Replies

Civil 3D 2012 SP3 (Update 3)

Has anyone installed SP3 yet? Are there any issues with it?

We are about to roll out 10 new computers and I am debating whether or not to put SP3 on them.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
bendavisasce
in reply to: JeffPaulsen

I have been using it since roll out and the fixes seemed to help make an improvement for me. I would recommend it.

Message 3 of 18
Jeff_M
in reply to: bendavisasce

Same for me. I have had no issues with SP3, highly recommended.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 18
nwtayeb

For me I couldn’t import from Google earth when I updated to SP3

Nemdili Tayeb
Use:Civil 3d 2012

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 18
Ed.McGriskin
in reply to: nwtayeb

No issues here with SP3. Seems to help performance a bit. 

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.
Message 6 of 18
Jeff_M

Update! The issue introduced with SP2/2.1 where you are unable to create Data Shortcuts if you have Assemblies labeled with MText using Fields has been brought back with SP3. The fix is to install the HotFix released in Aug 2012.

EESignature
Message 7 of 18
tmullins
in reply to: Jeff_M

Update to your Update Jeff....

The issue I found earlier with data shortcuts and Update 3, I did not have any assemblies labeled with Mtext. I simply could not create a shortcut at all. It continued to tell me to save the drawing.

So extracted the AcFdEval.arx from the hotfix (file version 18.2.205.7 dated 8/14/12) and then I could create shortcuts again.

(Update 2.1 actually fixed the issue, then it appears Update 3 broke it again - verified on another machine just running Update 2.1 on the same file I could still create shortcuts.)

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Creating-Data-Shortcuts-Problem/td-p/3277507/page/5

Message 8 of 18
JeffPaulsen

Can anyone else confirm that the Google Earth import is broken with SP3?

Jeff Paulsen
Message 9 of 18
JeffPaulsen

I just installed SP3. So far so good.

Insert Google Earth Image and Surface worked just fine and I was able to create a data shortcut in a drawing that contained fields for assembly names.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 10 of 18
Jeff_M

Update to my update. Looks like I had a bad ARX file on my PC which had nothing to do with SP3. Installing SP3 on another computer shows that it works just fine after running a number of tests to try to duplicate the previously reported issues. 

I again highly recommend installing it.

EESignature
Message 11 of 18
colby_phelps

Hi Jeff --

EDIT: Oh shoot, Jeff - I just saw in another thread that you warned another user regarding SP2.1 and disappearing profile information. So I have nothing new for you below 😞

In my office we have experienced an issue when we went from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2.1. I have read that SP 3 contains all fixes brought forward in 2.1, so I consider SP 3 an offender in the same vein as 2.1. SP2.1's issue is a known problem and was not remedied in SP 3.

Anyway! What I'm getting at is this: If you have a computer that has built profile views that contain pipe network objects inside them, with service packs that pre-date SP2.1, you are vulnerable to SP2.1 & SP3's issue:

*profile view grids go haywire and display beyond their borders, for thousands of feet

*pipe network objects no longer display in these profile views

-----> find relevant thread here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Civil-3D-Service-Pack-2-1-HEADS-UP/td-p/3603270

Beware, Sir.  Hopefully you will not need to touch projects and re-publish any pipe network content contained, as that is now impossible unless you go back to SP1. I have verified this issue on my own machine (I installed SP2.1 & SP3 and experienced the issue). We have uninstalled C3D 2012 and re-installed with 2012/SP1 on 3 machines to handle the continuing work on the project. That was the only solution.

Colby Phelps
Senior Civil Designer @ GHD
HP Z640 Solid State Intel(R) Xeon(R) 2.20Ghz, (2 processors);64GbRAM C3D 2020,Win 10 x64, Dynamo Studio user!
Message 12 of 18
Jeff_M
in reply to: colby_phelps

Colby, I don't know if you saw any of my other posts regarding this issues (I've made plenty Smiley Happy ), but I did find a workable solution for MOST of my current projects. All of the strange issues created by SP2.1 have been remedied by insuring that I do not have BOTH a DataReference to a Pipe Network AND an Xref to that Dref's Source file in the same drawing. If I have one or the other, all is good, but when they both are brought into the same drawing then all bets are off. I am now happily using C3D2012, SP3, with mostly great results.

EESignature
Message 13 of 18
colby_phelps

Killer tip, Jeff! Thank you -- I will try this workaround 🙂 

Colby Phelps
HP Z640 Solid State Intel(R) Xeon(R) 2.20Ghz, (2 processors);64GbRAM C3D 2020,Win 10 x64, Dynamo Studio user!
Message 14 of 18
sboon
in reply to: colby_phelps

My problems reported previously in this thread after installing SP 2.1 have reappeared after installing this one.  I suspect that I will be uninstalling it soon.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 15 of 18
colby_phelps
in reply to: sboon

Thank you -- I will proceed with caution on a test machine.

Colby Phelps
Message 16 of 18
Jeff_M

Steve, I almost replied this morning that I had never seen this issue with the corridor featurelines. I have a corridor which is ~3.5 miles long, lots of cuts & fills, adjacent swales, etc., which has always looked great in plan view (we won't talk about the 3d views or during the Drive command). Until this afternoon, when I had to edit one curve to get the EOP to avoid an existing drainage inlet. The change in curve shifted the midpoint of that arc ~5'. Once I rebuilt the corridor, I saw this featureline issue in one place and that was in the area of this modified curve. Due to other fixes that 2.1 made, I do not want to go back to an older SP so I will live with this. I may change the subassembly in that area to try to eliminate the problem linework.

EESignature
Message 17 of 18
sboon

Other users in our office have reported a possible solution where they add one or two stations near to the point where the featureline jumps, so that the corridor can find another section to connect to instead of jumping way down the alignment.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 18 of 18
Jeff_M

What I found in my corridor was that, where it jumped, the corridor switched from a cut condition to a fill condition then back to cut, where just one section was in fill. It jumped from there to the next section that was fully in fill for the remainder of that corridor region. By adjusting the profile to eliminate that one fill section fixed my corridor.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report