Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2012 64 bit Windows 8 Crashing

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
mjthorne47
9806 Views, 12 Replies

Civil 3D 2012 64 bit Windows 8 Crashing

I just installed Civil 3D 2012 64 bit on a new computer running Windows 8.  It starts up fine, but when I pull up a drawing, about 1 or 2 minutes later, the program shuts down and I have to restart Civil 3D.  I've pulled up several different drawings from different sources, and it does the same thing.  First, a window pops up for a split second, and I can't read the contents of the window.  Then, I get the window that says Civil 3D is shutting down.  How do I fix this? 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: mjthorne47

Civil 3D is not supported on Windows 8.  The only products that are supported are...

• Autodesk 3ds Max 2013
  • Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2013
  • Autodesk Maya 2013
  • Autodesk MotionBuilder 2013
  • Autodesk Mudbox 2013
  • Autodesk Softimage 2013
  • Autodesk SketchBook Designer 2013

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 13
DarrenP

@mjthorne47 wrote:

How do I fix this? 

go back to windows 7

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13

Do a search on the forum for WIndows 8, it's all been covered:

C3D 2012 & Win 8 = no go > no support

C3D 2013 & Win 8 = no go > no support (a few have reported works ok)

C3D 2013 & SP1 & Win 8 = seems to work > no support

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 5 of 13
mjthorne47

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I assumed Windows 8 would run everything Windows 7 does.  When you buy a home computer these days, they come pre-loaded with Windows 8, otherwise, they charge extra to install Windows 7.  I really don't like Windows 8--I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they came up with it.

Message 6 of 13

The sad part is there are really alot of improvements to Win8 outside of the GUI. Security, performance, etc but that really is not advertised.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 7 of 13
rsBria

I am in the exact same boat as you.  I bought a new laptop (windows 8-64 bit) a week ago and loaded C3D 2011.  It appeared to install successfully, I can open any drawing with no trouble but after a few minutes it crashes.  I am forced to decide between keeping the laptop, stripping windows 8 and installing 7 (fingers crossed) or just taking the machine back.  I hate to take it back and start the shopping experience all over, but I also hate the thoughts of fighting my pc for months on end just trying to get it right........undecided.   I wish there was an easier fix?  Hope you get sorted out on your end.

Message 8 of 13
troma
in reply to: rsBria

Your other option: hold your breath for C3D 2014?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 9 of 13
simon

I have had the same experience. We are paying a lot of money to Autodesk for the use of this product and to be told "It's not supported" smacks of the very worst sort of corporate arrogance. For what we pay I think it is only reasonable to expect the product to run on the latest operating system and the sort of attitude displayed by Autodesk is reprehensible. It gives the lie to all the bland emails we get saying "how much our customes matter to us". The fact is they couldn't care less and once they have got their hands on your money you can go whistle.

I have had to reload Windows 7 on an old laptop just to keep working until they can be bothered to either fix it or come out with a new version. They should remember that it is our money that keeps them in a job and it is them who is supposed to work for us, not the other way round.

Message 10 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: simon

Hi,

>> I think it is only reasonable to expect the product to run on the latest operating system

To be honest: at the time Civil3D 2013 was released there was no Win8 existing (as final, finished version or even as RC). And as Microsoft did changes in the deep of the os nearly every application with high optimization has to be adapted to get it running on Win8.

>> I have had to reload Windows 7 on an old laptop

Why didn't you install Win7 on your current workstation? I guess it's more safe to run Win7 currently, at least as long as there is no Win8 SP1 out. (one of my basic rules for an working environment)

I agree to that it is a wish to get Civil3D 2013 running on Win8 (and all the other applications too, also 2012 releases), but as already written: better later upgrade and more stable then (compared to fast update but with a lot of bugs).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 11 of 13
simon
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

>>Why didn't you install Win7 on your current workstation? I guess it's more safe to run Win7 currently, at least as long as there is no Win8 SP1 out. (one of my basic rules for an working environment)

I am using Visual Studio 2012 to develop an application for Windows Phone 8 and the sdk will only run on Windows 8 so if I wish to work on both Visual Studio and Civil3d I need to have two different operating systems installed. If the will existed at Autodesk to make a fix for Civil3d and Windows 8 it could have been implemented  ages ago. They simply cannot be bothered and as far as they are concerned it is us who will have to work our way round the problem. Value for money it is not. At least Microsoft do try and assist their users (you don't get all the bs "we care about what you think" garbage from MS either, they just get on with it), it is a sorry reflection on Autodesk that they do not.

Simon

Message 12 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: simon

Hi,

>> I am using Visual Studio 2012 to develop an application for Windows Phone 8

You need access to Win Phone 8 from your Civil3D? If not then I would install Win7 on the workstation and run VmWare witn Win8 for development of and Win8-applications. (What I'm doing currently too).

>> If the will existed at Autodesk to make a fix for Civil3d and Windows 8

>> it could have been implemented  ages ago

I'm sure that Autodesk has to make the best for the shareholders, so they have to optimize the profit as much as possible,

But remembering back to 2010 and Win7, it was a similar situation, even when AutoCAD 2010 was released while Win7 was not on the market ==> Autodesk made AutoCAD 2010 compatible to Win7 afterwards (real no profit plus because that is not paid directly from anyone). So Autodesk does look to make older releases compatible to newer os.

And I'm also sure - looking to the mass of products Autodesk has - it's not just a 1 month approach to get all these products a) compatible and b) stable (as Win8 also is not stable to the end at the moment, e.g. you can read about a lot of driver conflicts for now)

Anyway, we can discuss a long time, we will not get to an end. There are some wanting to drive the newest OS (at least for Civil3D it's not anything better running Win7 compared to running based on Win8), others want to have the most stable software (and I see Win7 currently as much more stable). So it's a personal decision for what to try/what to drive, but again, I would please Autodesk to come later with an update when it's more stable.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 13 of 13
simon
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

>>You need access to Win Phone 8 from your Civil3D? If not then I would install Win7 on the workstation and run VmWare witn Win8 for development of and Win8-applications. (What I'm doing currently too).

The WinPhone 8 projects are nothing to do with Civil3d but I don't really expect to pay premium prices to Autodesk and then have to start fiddling around with things like that just to get things working.

>>I'm sure that Autodesk has to make the best for the shareholders, so they have to optimize the profit as much as possible,

The graveyards of corporate history are littered with companies who went bankrupt after paying more attention to their shareholders and profit than to their customers, who, in reality, become little more than a nuisance to such organisations. They suddenly realise where their revenue came from when the Receivers arrive and it's too late. If you alienate your customers and treat them with contempt you do so at your peril. The "never explain, never apologise" business model does not work any more.

Simon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report