Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2011

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Kyle-Evans
417 Views, 15 Replies

Civil 3D 2011

Hey Guys, I am trying to find a download link for Civil 3D 2011, as I wish to install it at home. I am only unable to download 2012 though...

Any help?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
thepworth
in reply to: Kyle-Evans

can you ask your reseller if they still have any "Trial DVD's" of 2011 kicking around?  then you could enter your own S/N. 

Message 3 of 16
klugb

I am assuming you went to the subscription center, then "Upgrade"?

I just checked and it shows 2012 to 2009 as an option for me.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 4 of 16
Kyle-Evans
in reply to: klugb

You probably have the option enabled to "Download" them. Being that I am in a large company, and only a small part of the drafting group, I do not have those permissions enabled...

Message 5 of 16
Sinc

In my experience, I'd not recommend 2011 if at all possible.  It seems a lot more buggy than 2012 (although 2012 has plenty of bugs, too).

Sinc
Message 6 of 16
klugb

I agree with Sinc. There were more benefits and less issues with 2012 than 2011. Unfortunatly, you said your part of a large company so version changes can be a nightmare. We only have to deal with 10 people.
Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 7 of 16
Kyle-Evans

Corporate Standards Sinc... I cannot go upgrading our drawings to a version we have not been approved to use...

We are currently on 2010 right now, about to switch to 2011..

Message 8 of 16
klugb

If your getting ready to switch then I would go from 2010 to 2012, it's a better move.
Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 9 of 16
Kyle-Evans

Not my decision...

Message 10 of 16
Sinc

I have been told by an Autodesk reseller that, if you are on subscription, it is illegal for you to use ANYTHING but the latest release, after 90 days of its release.  So if you are on subscription, you are violating your subscription agreement if you've been using anything but C3D 2012 since last July.

However, I've been unable to find any substantiating information, in any way, on Autodesk's website.  Trying to follow the "Am I in compliance" links goes nowhere.  The whole thing actually disgusts me.

What is Autodesk thinking?  They try to force everyone onto the latest release on one hand, but make the conditions so obscure that even "Gurus"  (whatever that means) can't figure it out.  And the complete incompatibility (both forward and backward) make it impossible for people "in the trenches" to even use their software.  Are they trying to chase everyone away?

Again, what are they thinking?

Sinc
Message 11 of 16
klugb

Maybe they HAVE found a way. Our tech emailed me today and said that he can't authorize an install of 2011. We are on subscription, so it should be 2012, but the user didn't want to upgrade. Hmmm....
Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 12 of 16
Sinc

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe they HAVE found a way. Our tech emailed me today and said that he can't authorize an install of 2011. We are on subscription, so it should be 2012, but the user didn't want to upgrade. Hmmm....

And they think that approach works in the "Real World"...?

Again, what are they thinking?

Sinc
Message 13 of 16
Sinc
in reply to: Sinc

To be more precise, we have multiple clients.  Some of them have stayed on older versions because they are so large that, by they time they upgrade all offices, they are already past-due for the next year's upgrade.

That's why so many want to skip every other-year.  And forcing small companies to work in newer versions, while large companies can't afford to upgrade all offices in the limited time-frame...  Well it creates nothing but massive confusion.

And that's not even getting into all the problems with upgrading from one year of C3D to the next, since we've now reached the point where even forward-compatiblity doesn't work.  (C3D 2011 drawings have problems in C3D 2012, for example. C3D 2010 to C3D 2011 or C3D 2010 to C3D 2012 are even worse.  Forget about earlier versions.  If you want to open C3D 2009 or earlier in C3D 2012, all I can say is "good luck".)

Sinc
Message 14 of 16
Jeff_M
in reply to: Sinc

@Sinc wrote:

I have been told by an Autodesk reseller that, if you are on subscription, it is illegal for you to use ANYTHING but the latest release, after 90 days of its release.  So if you are on subscription, you are violating your subscription agreement if you've been using anything but C3D 2012 since last July.

Not sure where that reseller got their information, Sinc, but as far as I can find, it is just plain wrong. This is the first definition from the Subscription site regarding the use of previous versions:

"Subscription customers are entitled to use certain Previous Versions of Autodesk products concurrently with the most current release if they meet certain conditions."

The certain conditions are more thorughly defined therein, but essentially, as long as you had a valid license for that previous version, and it within 3 releases of the current version, you meet the conditions.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 15 of 16
mathewkol

Jeff's answer is correct. The OP has not specified subscription yet. If you're on sub, you should be able to download from the subscription centre. If you don't have the credentials to log in, your Autodesk contract administrator will have them.

If you're not on sub then I'm afraid there is no download option of which I'm aware. It's my understanding that if you upgraded to 2012 and you're NOT on sub you're mandated to use 2012.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 16 of 16
tyronebk
in reply to: Jeff_M

I wanted to attempt a add a point of clarification regarding subscription and licensing. I believe the 3 months requirement (like Matt said) applies to products that were taken off subscription and network licenses. So for network licenses you have 3 months to upgrade your license servers to the new licenses.

So for example if your current network licenses are for 2012 (with 2011, 2010, 2009 included as previous version support) you have up to 3 months after 2013 is released to upgrade the licenses to 2013 (with 2012, 2011, 2010 included as previous version support). Also, for any standalone licenses, you will likely be required to uninstall any 2009 products that previously fell under the previous version support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report