Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2011 freezes randomly

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
tremolite
1468 Views, 28 Replies

Civil 3D 2011 freezes randomly

Every couple of weeks at random, my AutoCAD just freezes up and gives me the spinny wheel like it is thinking.  No other programs on my computer are affected at all by this.  Will happen every couple of minutes for a couple minutes.  It will happen why I'm not even trying to run any commands, it just freeze. 

The only temp fix I can find is that if I unplug my network cable, it will stop.  Is there some auto-update it's trying to do behind the scenes and not getting through my companys firewall?

Any help or ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Nick

Tags (1)
28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
RandyBenson
in reply to: blt

Try this:

(setvar "SAVEFIDELITY" 0)

It worked for me. This is a variable that has to do with saving back to versions prior to 2007. Dont' know why 1 is the default, but as soon as I changed it, my lock-ups disappeared.

HTH.

Message 22 of 29
RandyBenson
in reply to: RandyBenson

You don't have to use the lisp expression, you can just type SAVEFIDELITY 0 at the command prompt and it'll work. I clipped that out of my acaddoc.lsp file, where I tucked it so I'll NEVER NEVER NEVER have it set to 1 again!

Message 23 of 29
tremolite

I haven't had any issues since updating my video drivers, but I'll do this as well just in case.

Thanks!!

-Nick

RandyBenson wrote:

You don't have to use the lisp expression, you can just type SAVEFIDELITY 0 at the command prompt and it'll work. I clipped that out of my acaddoc.lsp file, where I tucked it so I'll NEVER NEVER NEVER have it set to 1 again!

Message 24 of 29
Sinc

@Anonymous wrote:

Try this:

(setvar "SAVEFIDELITY" 0)

It worked for me. This is a variable that has to do with saving back to versions prior to 2007. Dont' know why 1 is the default, but as soon as I changed it, my lock-ups disappeared.

HTH.

That should only affect the way that Annotative objects are saved back.  If it's having an effect for you, then you may have runaway Annotation Scales in your drawing.  Do you have ANNOAUTOSCALE set to a positive value?

This also should be having no effect unless you have C3D 2010 or later set to save to DWG format 2007 or earlier.  Hopefully you aren't doing that.

Sinc
Message 25 of 29
tremolite
in reply to: Sinc

ANNOAUTOSCALE  is set to -4

Saving to 2010

Message 26 of 29
RandyBenson
in reply to: tremolite

Same here, ( -4 ) although we change back and forth regularly. Doesn't seem to affect this problem, although (for me) setting SAVEFIDELITY to 0 had a dramatic effect.

Message 27 of 29
Sinc

When you have ANNOAUTOSCALE set to +4, it will automatically add scales to all annotative objects as you flip between them.  Flip to 1" = 10' even once, and EVERY Annotative Object in your drawing will suddenly have the 1" = 10' scale in its list, in addition to any scales that might have already been in there.  And having lots of Annotative objects with lots of scales in each object's scale list can slow down your drawing.

It seems very odd that SAVEFIDELITY would have much impact on this.  It ostensibly should only used when saving a 2010 or later drawing to 2007 or earlier format, so unless you are doing that, you should see no impact whatsoever from changing SAVEFIDELITY.  This program is chock full of bugs, though, so I suppose anything is possible...

Sinc
Message 28 of 29
RandyBenson
in reply to: Sinc

Yes I'm aware of the effect of having ANNOAUTOSCALE= +4.

I agree that it's odd, but I can confirm though that it had nothing to do with ANNOAUTOSCALE; we work from templates, we use annotative objects so we're watching the Annotative Scale List frequently, and said list is short. The only factors seem to be the drawing size (the larger the drawing, the more it seems to occur) and the SAVEFIDELITY variable being set to 1.

Using C3D2012 on x64 Dell Precision T3500 w/6GB ram, NVidia Quadro FX580 graphics card w/512MB of Video RAM.

Things I tried before hitting on this (through a Google search) included:

• Purging drawings (including regapps) and xrefs,
  • Saving all xrefs as v.2012,
  • Auditing all (used) drawings and xrefs (no errors),
  • Updating video drivers to latest & greatest
  • Repairing C3D2012

Here's a link that I found by googling AUTOCAD + "TOO LONG" + SAVEFIDELITY:

www.dailyautocad.com/.../is-it-taking-too-long-to-save-drawings.htm

It seems that the number of annotative objects may have as much or more effect than the number of annotative scales. We do use a lot of annotative objects, and as I said, the difference was immediate and dramatic (for us).

Message 29 of 29
RandyBenson

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report