Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2010 (32-bit) on 64-bit Windows 7

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
5061 Views, 6 Replies

Civil 3D 2010 (32-bit) on 64-bit Windows 7

Our company is looking at upgrading its computers to Windows 7, among other upgrades, in order to increase performance with our drawings. We would also install Civil 3D 2011 at that time and use that version as our base drafting/design version. The problem I have is that we currently use WaterGEMS for water modeling and our version is currently not compatible with 2011 only 2010. Also using WaterGEMS inside of AutoCAD is only possible on a 32-bit system.

So a solution that I see as viable would be to install 2011 x64 for design and also installing 2010 x32 for the users who work with the water models. Would this work? Can you install a 32 bit version on a 64 bit system? If so would I have to install 2010 on each machine with the DVD's or could I create a 32-bit deployment that would work on Windows 7 x64?

Thanks for any feedback.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Sinc
in reply to: Anonymous

You can install C3D 2010 on a 64-bit OS, no problem there.  But your C3D 2010 users will not be able to work with your C3D 2011 users, because C3D is not backward-compatible with itself.  Or to be more precise, the trip is one-way-only...  C3D 2011 can use the 2010 drawings, but not vice-versa.  And any 2010 drawing opened in C3D 2011 will automatically be upgraded to 2011 format, so you cannot use C3D 2011 to edit 2010 files without upgrading them.

Sinc
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Also, note that your 32bit 2010 can be installed in win7 on a 64-bit machine, it just won't take advantage of the 64-bit environment.  I happen to have both 2011 and 2010 installed side-by-side on my 64-bit Win7 machine.  I wouldn't dare try to do production work when I might inadvertently "promote" 2010 to 2011 and screw up my co-worker's ability to function.  I will say that using 2010 on a win7 box versus xp does take advantage of win7's memory management and the fatal errors I used to get on my xp box when working with large surfaces (19 million points over 700+sq miles) has gone away - I couldn't even build the surface in XP, but I could when I took the same box and upgraded the OS.  That box happened to be a 64-bit chip with a 32bit OS (don't ask why our IT dept did that one for us....)

Best of luck.

Message 4 of 7
Sinc

Hey, I got notice that the Autodesk-provided equipment for Speakers at AU will be a Win XP x32 box.  So So Autodesk itself is apparently doing the same thing as your IT department.  Maybe it's their way of encouraging speakers to bring their own computers for the presentations...  Smiley Very Happy

I hope they aren't doing the same thing in the labs at AU.  A lab using C3D 2011 on Win XP x32 might be pretty miserable...

Sinc
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Thank For your generosity to share with us.. But how to get the software civil 3d 2010

Message 6 of 7
lynn_zhang

Hi @waitogusanamau30

If you are looking for AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010 license then it's no longer available. But if you already have the license and just need the download links, you might contact our Customer Support to see if the download links are still available. Please note that any unsupported versions can become unavailable at any time.

Lynn Zhang
Community Manager

Message 7 of 7
rl_jackson

As a general statement from Autodesk they only support 3 years back (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong) so getting a version of C3D10 might be a little difficult without any support from the software provider.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report