Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 2013 - Horror - WCS Meltdown

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Mpendlebury
3127 Views, 8 Replies

Civil 2013 - Horror - WCS Meltdown

How on earth does this happen!  Flipped WCS issue in C3D 2013 !

We upgraded two weeks ago to 2013, we have about 10 users give or take there were a few hiccups as usual but business surging ahead as normal. 

Excluding THE HORROR this afternoon of finding that all of your work seems to be upside down ... at first i thought the youngster who had a problem had done something "special" with his view but when View\3d Views\Plan Views\World UCS returns you to the bottom looking up at the from world hell and not down from heaven alarm bells ring.

So I’m in the WCS for sure I change the view and not the UCS to top... it now says I’m in a different coordinate system, more panic ensues. Now at this point my stress level might have been clouding my normally sharp mind, I thought that rotating the view, did not affect the UCS?

After playing with the view cube I managed get my drawing looking from the top down, in the WCS expect now all my models are mirrored. Wait I have a brilliant idea! Let’s not wildly panic il upload my model over Google earth to check its defiantly in the right spot…. Right let’s get on with some serious panic.

I'm sure you can imagine the calm relaxed mood and discussions that ensued after even suggesting that approximately 800 man hours have been spent hard at work modelling upside down, after all we are all very bright and qualified people. Even still it’s very possible that all our plans are in the wrong place. That better yet any work that was done of those coordinates might also be rubbish, maybe we will get discount on the drill program for doing it a second time? Should I keep looking for a solution or a new job? I don’t remember playing with any coordinate systems on the template but as the vault admin it must have been me!

I did find a solution; I have linked it to the post. It would *seem* we don’t actually have a problem, that seeing my plans mirrored in WCS was simply a bonus illusion from my good friends down at Autodesk, just a silly setting or perhaps i just need glasses

However after this afternoons harrowing experience, I’m still left very confused, with many questions.

Is it just the view cube that is broken? Or have I just lost my marbles?

Can someone clarify what the difference is between setting the coordinate system in the drawing, which we had done correctly to the geographic location? In the past i had only set geographic location to play with things like daylight systems.

Why is that when I re-apply the geographic location that the error does not come back I’m still looking confidently down on my model and not up?

Is it not also silly to be able to set the coordinate system for Australia, and yet have your geographic location in America? 

How is it that in a drawing with the geographic location i can have view cube north point not pointing directly upwards but my Y axis in the WCS system is? Is this affecting my northing and easting’s numbers or just the view cube?

Now if in the same drawing make the north point directly upwards on the view cube my model a topo is now clearly at a funny angle, yet if I reference this with vault into a drawing with an identical topo where i have removed the geographic location, before building the topo so north is up the page it appears where I think it should be and not at a funny angle, yet in the orginal model, its still clearly at and angle, in the WC despite both bieng in the same cordinate system.

Am I weird in thinking the one my civil software should do IS CLEARLY IDENTIFY THE WCS AND CORDINATE SYTEM?   You could even leave UCS I really could manage without it.

Hope i have made sense and avoided the rant, id still love some more assurnaces or clairty if any one can offer them, when i say im sure where right tomorrow ... i actually need to be sure.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadguru42
in reply to: Mpendlebury

I have run into this, but didn't realize what was going on.  I have the ViewCube turned off because it's extremely annoying.  However, I noticed something was funky with a few of my drawings when I selected some survey figures to make sure they were drawing correctly using Object Viewer.  My UCS was messed up and I was viewing my model from under the ground even though it said TOP on the ViewCube.  I thought it was just the ViewCube messing up.  

Are you saying it has something to do with the geo location versus the UCS?  Is 2013 changing the UCS?  This doesn't seem to happen to all my drawings, just a few of them.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 3 of 9
n2itive

Has anyone come across a actual solution instead of a workaround for this issue in 2013. I have to reset my "Geographic Location" every single time I open a 2013 dwg. What really bugs me is that there deosn't seem to be the same issue with my template dwt. As soon as I save as "something" and reopen the new dwg it all goes to hell. However I can open and close my template dwt all day long without this happening.

SMH Autodesk... SMH

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Infrastructure Design Suite 2014
Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Message 4 of 9
islandson

Has anyone found a solution to this issue, we encountered this problem this am.

Civil 2014
Windows 7 64 Bit
Message 5 of 9
islandson
in reply to: islandson

Found out on another thread that if you type the command GEOGRAPHICLOCATION, and clear or reset the location (can't remember the what the window said) it will reset the ucs and the drawing goes back to normal. Apparantly it is a reoccuring problem. Talked to our Cansel Autocad guy and he says its a known issue.

Civil 2014
Windows 7 64 Bit
Message 6 of 9
Crys.Turner

I think removing the GEOGRAPHICLOCATION works because within GEOGRAPHICLOCATION the "Up Direction" is set to "-Z" instead of "+Z".  I have changed it to "+Z" in my template but it keeps resetting to "-Z" when I start a new drawing.  Is there somewhere other than GEOGRAPHICLOCATION that this variable is set that I also need to update?

Hope this helps and, if anyone has additional information, please reply.

Thanks!

Civil 3D 2013
Windows 7 32 Bit

Message 7 of 9
MikeEvansUK

You could try adding a command to reset geographic location in the autocad lsp file then set acaddocaslisp so it does this on opening a drawing. Alike we all did for the scalelistedit issues.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 8 of 9

This is definitely a problem with 2013.  GEOGRAPHICLOCATION command adjustments are not permanent.  Upon reopening a fixed drawing the WCS ucs is screwed up again.  The only solution to this problem is to removed the Coordinate System assignment or not never assign one to a drawing.  Both of these are not REAL solutions to proper geospatial civil 3d drawings.  AUTODESK YOU NEED TO FIX THIS ISSUE!

Message 9 of 9
allen_thompson

I removed the geographic location and defined a new one.  I the settings that I set remained...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report