Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel assembly with rock wall fixed to ROW align/profile

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
rafaelaustin
500 Views, 7 Replies

Channel assembly with rock wall fixed to ROW align/profile

I'm trying to create assemblies for the attached PDF, but I just can't figure out how to gereate the walls "starting" from the ROW align/prof while having the channel bottom follow the main align/profile.

Based on our design, the sides need to "start" at the ROW, go out 5' for a fixed distance, then down at 1:8 (vert) till it projects down to the bottom of the channel. I can build these seperately, but how do I get them to work together?

Also, I'm stumped at how to do the "variable" segments in #2 that connect the channel bottom to the sides that project down from the ROW. I've looked for tutorials on using a MarkPoint, but I haven't found anything that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Channel.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rafaelaustin
in reply to: rafaelaustin

To clairify, I'm not trying to create the zig-zag wall accurately, we're just going to show it as a 1:8 (vert) face.

Message 3 of 8
rafaelaustin

Also, I already have an alignment and profile for both existing RT/LT ROW that I am trying to follow.

I've always had cases that are like the RT side of #3, where I just project out to an existing ROW align/prof and attach to that. But I've never done one that projects both from the flowline outward and the ROW inward at the same time.

Message 4 of 8
rafaelaustin

I’m thinking I just need to suck it up and do it all with features lines and grading objects. That’s not going to look pretty.

1)      Create CHAN-1-BOTT surface with feature lines, stepped offset and grading object projecting to ROW. Create feature lines at ROW, stepped offset to top of wall then project down to bottom surface to create CHAN-1-RT and CHAN-1-LT. Merge into CHAN-1-FG surface.

2)      Create CHAN-2-BOTT with stepped offset, only for concrete channel. Create 2% slope down from ROW, leaving gap between surfaces. Paste both into CHAN-2-FG and let gap be filled by surface.

3)      Similar.

Maybe I can create the channel bottom surfaces with a corridor to save a little time and offer some flexibility if the design changes.

Opinions?

Message 5 of 8
fcernst

Do not start sucking.

This is easily done with a MarkPoint, LinkToMarkedPoint and Offset Assemblies. I quickly worked it up show one side for example below:

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 8
rafaelaustin
in reply to: fcernst

Thanks. A coworker from another office worked up a solution, that I admit I haven't completely figured out. I post a step-by-step here later after I have it broken down. Thanks for your input!

Message 7 of 8
fcernst

Great. Glad to hear it gave you the idea how this could work with one Corridor object.

It will keep everything nicely organized and coordinated for you.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 8
sboon
in reply to: fcernst

LinkSlopeBetweenPoints may be a good solution for this, if you're still having trouble.  If you set the ditch width to zero, then you can essentially create an intersection at the bottom of your wall given the two known starting points and the two known slopes.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report