Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Alignment Label Sets Starting Station

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
pserpas
23153 Views, 14 Replies

Changing Alignment Label Sets Starting Station

Is it possible to modify a label set to a new starting station, e.g., instead of the alignment starting at 0, change it to start at 100?

Windows 7 x 64
Nvidia GeForce GTS 450
8 GB Ram
Intel Core i5-2310 @ 2.90 GHz
v. F.107.0.0 AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 SP1
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
dgordon
in reply to: pserpas

uncheck the box next to start station and type in whatever station is needed.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 15
pserpas
in reply to: dgordon

Sorry, I didn't state the question correctly.  What I'm trying to do is change the labels on the alignment shown in picture 2 to start at a higher number than zero, but when I try unchecking the Start Station column, I just get the error as shown in picture 3.

I would like to be able to change this without recreating the alignment.

Pat

Windows 7 x 64
Nvidia GeForce GTS 450
8 GB Ram
Message 4 of 15
Jeff_M

Select the alignment. Either right-click, or from the ribbon, select Alignment Properties. On the Station Control tab edit the stationing to whatever you please.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 15
marcross

Or you can create a expression to achieve the result you want, under the Alignment>label styles>Station>Major Station, right click on Expression and select new…., in the Edit Expression dialog box, under the expression area, put in “{Station Value}+40000” 40000 being the start station that you want, once you have the expression create, you can apply that new expression into your major station label style. That way, you aren’t changing the geometry itself instead you just change the label.

Message 6 of 15

I would modify the alignment to start at the number that you want and not mess with the label set. You can start the alignment from any station value you need either when you start drawing the alignment or at any point in the project. After setting the starting station of the alignment, the labels will reflect that automatically.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 15
ccoles
in reply to: Jeff_M

<snip>

Oops. Peter's right. Change it at the alignment properties, not the labels menu. The alignment can start with any value you select, not just zero.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 8 of 15
pserpas
in reply to: ccoles

Thanks to you all.  Anyone who searches this thread, look at the attached picture to this reply to see the solution.

Pat

Windows 7 x 64
Nvidia GeForce GTS 450
8 GB Ram
Message 9 of 15

When I tried this, my profile, sample lines, sections and corridor were all deleted. Is there any way to avoid this?

Randy A. Owens
Southland Engineering, Inc.
Win 7 64BIT
C3D 2013
Message 10 of 15

Changing the alignment staioning in the Alignment Properties can cause already created profile views, sample lines, and corridors associated with that alignment to behave very strangely, even vanish. You have to go into each element through the Prospector and change their relative stationing to reflect the revised alignment stationing for them to return to normalcy, and that's a lot of work. This is why changing the labels through an expression, as suggested by an earlier contributor, is a viable idea at this point. However, as others have mentioned, and to avoid some real connundrums down the line, changing the stationing via the Alignment Properties is the best long term solution. This is my recommendation as well. 

For this reason, it is HIGHLY recommended to get the stationing right before you create profiles, corridors, etc. 

Message 11 of 15

Is there any way to change the DEFAULT Starting Station for an alignment?

As a rule, my company starts stations at 10+00 instead of 0+00.  Not sure why, but it'd be nice to change this once and never have to deal with it again.

Thanks!

Message 12 of 15
sfreemancad

I have this same issue, I need my stationing to begin at 1+00, but in the alignment properties under the station control tab, the reference point options are not available to modify... i dont understand how everyone else can do this

Message 13 of 15
FDGJames
in reply to: sfreemancad

What version are you using?  In 2017 I get a Warning pop-up but it still lets me change the starting point.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018.3
Message 14 of 15

As long as you are in the source drawing for the alignment, you should be able to edit the starting station. Enter the value in the field you circled and press the "Apply" button.

Another way that you could do this is to add a station equation at the start of the alignment.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 15
sfreemancad
in reply to: FDGJames

2017, but i just realized that I was accessing the alignment properties
from the dxref as opposed to the alignment dwg, once I opened and tried in
the parent it worked

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report