Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change text label height for layout in meters

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
ana.sousa.moreira
1658 Views, 13 Replies

Change text label height for layout in meters

Dear experts,
I would like to change the text height of labels displayed on layouts configured to meters, for instance 0.005m.
In the configuration of the label, I can't apply more than 2 decimal places. How to solve this situation?

Thanks for help...

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
tcorey
in reply to: ana.sousa.moreira

Sorry, I don't do metric very well -- it's just so confusing 😉 -- but I did notice that you're asking for .005 meters and the text height specification is in mm. Isn't a millimeter a thousandth of a meter? So if you want 0.005m, set text height to 5mm.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 14
ana.sousa.moreira
in reply to: tcorey

Hi Tim!
Thank you for your interest in the answer to my question.

Layout: try setting a page setup with the dimensions of an A1. We are in
meters.
What I do is set the page setup and put 1000 mm=1 unit in the the drawing..
After I create a viewport to 1:500 scale (1 Paper Milimeters= 500 Drawing
Meters). The text of the labels you want to view must have na height of
0.005m (ok 5mm) on paper. the height that I see is huge!

How do I do to ensure this text height in the viewport ??!?
In label configuration, I can't put 3 or 4 decimal places. (text height
validation error - value 0.00mm out of range ...)

Ana
Message 4 of 14
Jay_B

@ana.sousa.moreira wrote:
What I do is set the page setup and put 1000 mm=1 unit in the the drawing..
After I create a viewport to 1:500 scale (1 Paper Milimeters= 500 Drawing
Meters). The text of the labels you want to view must have na height of
0.005m (ok 5mm) on paper. the height that I see is huge!
How do I do to ensure this text height in the viewport ??!?
In label configuration, I can't put 3 or 4 decimal places. (text height
validation error - value 0.00mm out of range ...)

Ana,

I'm not seeing any way to change text height precision within the Style dialog boxes.

The default Metric Civil 3d Template _AutoCad Civil 3D Metric (NCS).dwt has the same x.xx precision but the default text heights are all set to 2.50 mm. 

Try setting the Model Space Scale to 1:1000, the Viewport Scale to 1:1000 and verify sure that A1Page setup has a plot as a ratio of 1:1 by selecting the 1:1000 scale option. Might need to run the Regenall command after making above scaling changes.

When using the above settings the text height measures at the proper height of 2.5mm.

It sounds like a units or Page Setup issue, If these suggestions don't help, post the drawing here and someone can likely help out.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 14
ana.sousa.moreira
in reply to: Jay_B

Thank you

Seems that the AutoCAD annotative property longer makes sense ...

Good work and thanks again[?]
​Ana M​
Message 6 of 14

ASM,

"It sounds like a units or Page Setup issue, If these suggestions don't help, post the drawing here and someone can likely help out."

I'm with Jay. Please post your drawing.

ScaleUnits.png

ScalePlot.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 7 of 14

This is my problem ....

Capture3.JPG

Message 8 of 14

You need to completely review your procedures for scaling. In modelspace you need to think real world including Point Label heights and marker heights.

In paperspace you need to think in millimeters. A1 is 594 X 891. So that's how big your sheet in the layout should be. Your's was about .8 X 1.8. Plotting should be done at 1 to one as Dave shows. That's unless you need to do a Half size or something.

There were too many problems with your drawing for me to work through in limited time. I'd suggest revising some of your point and point label styles then start a new layout with the proper size sheet to check the results. Our basic point label text height for existing points is 2.54 mm. This is the height we want actual plotted text to be.

If you want to plot at 1:500 you should try to match the Modelspace scale to the Viewport scale, at least until you're more familiar with scaling. That way what you see in Modelspace will be approximately what you see in your layout. After trying to get something going with your layout I switched to Modelspace. That's when I say the text for your points was almost invisible.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
Jay_B

Yes, Allen is correct, there are many settings within test.dwg which are set differently than the Metric template is intended to be used.

Drawing Settings is set to this scale:

metric text height test.dwg

Then the Point Styles are using "Use Drawing Scale" using a value of .01 mm which is normally set to around 2.5 mm similar to avg. text height values.

The Text Heights within the majority of label styles are normally set to around 2.5 for Metric.

The Model Space Scale needs to match the Viwport Scale for best results.

I created a Page Setup and adjusted a bunch of the above settings within attached drawing using 1:1000 scale.

Using these settings, the text measures 2.5 mm in height as expected in Layout.

2012 version was used.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 10 of 14
joaosantos

I really appreciate the time spent to solve my problem.
Is effectively a
work form and concept completely different from what I'm used to working. I got used to the annotative property of AutoCAD and always work in meters, in model and layouts. But to solve the problem of the prints with the appropriate text heights, yours is the best solution.
thank you!

Ana

Message 11 of 14
Jay_B
in reply to: joaosantos

No problem glad to help out, Civil 3d Object scaling and AutoCad Annotation scaling behave differently.

Here's a good article explaining some of the differences.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 12 of 14

Even though it isn't completely relevant, the answer to your question is to change the system variable for linear precision from 2 to 3.

Type 'luprec' at the command line.

Message 13 of 14
Jay_B
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Using the _AutoCAD Civil 3D (Metric) NCS.dwt and setting LUPREC to 3 doesn't affect the

text height precision within label styles, it remains fixed at x.xx (2 places).

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 14 of 14
ana.sousa.moreira

Hello, I'm Ana!

I am increasingly convinced that AutoCAD and Civil 3D can not be compared.

Thanks for the tip.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report