Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change surface reference for slope labels

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
fcernst
3256 Views, 21 Replies

Change surface reference for slope labels

I have many surface slope labels placed where I want them. Now I just want to change the surface they reference, but Surface box is grayed out in Label Properties.

Searching the internet I see many convuluted workarounds to do this simple operation, is that really still the case?

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
fcernst
in reply to: fcernst

Ok, I created a new surface slope style that just uses the arrow and Reference Text that will work to address this capability.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 22
BrianHailey

Unfortunately there is no way that I'm aware of to change which surface (or other object) a label is referencing if it isn't a reference component within the label. Adding the reference component should work for your situation but not all label styles support reference components.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 22
fcernst
in reply to: BrianHailey

Hi Brian:

Yes, using Reference Text (RT) works for this. I have created a surface slope label style using RT that allows me to change the surface reference now through Label Properties.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 22
ken.sanderson

anything new since this post about changing surface referance for slope labels

Message 6 of 22
BrianHailey
in reply to: ken.sanderson

Since August? Nope. Nothing new. Service packs don't typically add functionality and nothing in the subscription center (where new functionality comes from) adds this ability.

Sorry.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 22
fcernst

I checked as Solved with the solution above back then.

The solution is to use a Reference Text component in your surface slope label style.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 22
ken.sanderson

i use the add labels surface slope or elevations, pick the surface and its good to go. however the has been a complete update to a new model. i would like update the existing labels to reflect the new model (different name) since this is existing information i dont see how RT can help at this point. thanks

Message 9 of 22
fcernst

You could Create the new Reference Text label style in your drawing. 

Then change the label style (Edit Label Style) of all your current label locations to the new style,  and select the new surface under Properties for all of them.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 22
BrianHailey

If you no longer need the old surface, just get rid of all the data in it and paste the new surface into it. All your labels are now the exact same as if you had labeled the new surface (and they are dynamic as long as everything is set to rebuild automatic).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 22

thanks I see how that works, can you do it for surface slope? when I view ref text it shows surface elev only also it show both the original elevation and the new RT labels can the old one be turned off? thanks again Ken Sanderson Senior Municipal Designer, Municipal Infrastructure, Water D 403.270.9102 E ken.sanderson@aecom.com AECOM 200 - 6807 Railway Street SE, Calgary, Alberta T2H 2V6 T 403.270.9200 F 403.270.9196 Cisco Ext: 3609102 www.aecom.com
Message 12 of 22
fcernst

Yes slope is a valid Text component.

Old elevation? Did you make a new Label Style?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 13 of 22

thanks no I copied an existing slope style and add RT to it I will review and set up some new style thanks for the great info Ken Sanderson Senior Municipal Designer, Municipal Infrastructure, Water D 403.270.9102 E ken.sanderson@aecom.com AECOM 200 - 6807 Railway Street SE, Calgary, Alberta T2H 2V6 T 403.270.9200 F 403.270.9196 Cisco Ext: 3609102 www.aecom.com
Message 14 of 22
fcernst

Oh, you would have to delete the old Text component then, so that it just has the RT component.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 15 of 22
Jeff_M

I know you all have found workarounds, but if there were a tool to move/copy Elevation and/or Slope labels between surfaces, would you use it and, A.) be willing to pay a small fee for a single program, or B.) be willing to pay a larger small fee to see it included with a number of other enhancements for C3D?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 16 of 22

Thanks again worked great Ken Sanderson Senior Municipal Designer, Municipal Infrastructure, Water D 403.270.9102 E ken.sanderson@aecom.com AECOM 200 - 6807 Railway Street SE, Calgary, Alberta T2H 2V6 T 403.270.9200 F 403.270.9196 Cisco Ext: 3609102 www.aecom.com
Message 17 of 22
fcernst
in reply to: Jeff_M

I would choose "B".

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 18 of 22
Neilw_05

Absolutely Jeff. That would be a very worthwhile investment. A or B depending on what is included in the tool set. Ideally we'd have the option for either so we could add the tools piecemeal for different users/purposes.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 19 of 22
Joe-Bouza

B.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 20 of 22
CADjunkie209
in reply to: BrianHailey

"If you no longer need the old surface, just get rid of all the data in it and paste the new surface into it."

Okay, I'm seing this as a suggested solution in a few different threads, but, how do you "paste into a surface"? I understand how to delete all the definition data out of a surface, just can't figure out how to paste the new data "into it".    Any help would be appriciated.  I've been stuggling with this same issue since I converted to Civil 3D only last year.

Currently using IDS Premium 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report