Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot add an offset for duplicate number points initially

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
coopdetat
1525 Views, 3 Replies

Cannot add an offset for duplicate number points initially

Civil 3D 2012

I imported several survey point files at the same time and was only able to Ignore duplicate point numbers or resolve them. However, there was no way to instruct AutoCAD in how to resolve them. Specifically, I was unable to specify an offset for the operation and the numbers that AutoCAD assigned automatically are all above 536 million 870 thousand (yes, 536,870,000)

I finally found this in the help file under "Duplicate Point Number Dialog Box"

-----------------------------------------

Duplicate Point Number Resolution

Important

"For duplicate Survey point numbers, Overwrite and Ignore are the only Resolution options. Selecting the Ignore option leaves the COGO point values intact. Options for Add An Offset From and Sequence From are not available"

-----------------------------------------

I did discover that if I re-import them using the import events I am then able to specify an offset. The obvious solution to this problem then is to either import files one at a time or re-import all but the first file, one at a time, and set a different offset for each re-import operation.

Great job Autodesk, this is just brilliant! Was it too hard to figure out what the largest point number was and use that as an offset for each subsequent point file? Is there yet another stupid Style in yet another obscure and undocumented location that sets the default offset to 536,870,000? Just wondering.

I am really going fast now. It's been about a half day and I've almost got my 4400 points imported with some meaningful numbers. I know, I know, I'll get to see some speed improvements later on down the line... if I haven't beaten this piece of crap to a pulp by then.

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------
Civil Design Professional Since 1983 (Intergraph), AutoCAD since 1989

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
nVidia Quadro RTX 4000; AutoCAD Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
AllenJessup
in reply to: coopdetat

Does this have any relevance to what you're trying to do? I don't have 2012 yet.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCUG/GUID-AE84F1D7-CC87-407F-8D71-D07ED7F1172-2930.htm

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
coopdetat
in reply to: coopdetat

I was hopeful that information you linked would help solve the problem.  It seemed to have what I needed but after adjusting the Point Identity settings and reimporting to a new database I was disappointed again. I tried several different point numbering related settings for new point file imports to several new databases, all to no avail.

Apparently importing point files does not "Create" points or else that type of point creation does not obey the "Create Point" settings.  I am still getting an offset (unspecified by me) of 5,368,870,000 + {next number} after the first file is imported. Try as I might, I cannot get away from duplicate point number resolution adding the unspecified offset 5,368,870,000 + {next number}.  I even tried setting an offset of 5,368,870,000 in the import dialog to see if it would change it but that caused the imported points to be invisible in the prospector and it reset the import offset to 2,684,435,000. The prospector indicated there were points from each imported point file but it displayed none of them in the point lists!?

I think my original workaround of importing point files one at a time is the best bet.  Civil 3D 2012 cannot automatically sequentially number imported points from multiple files. (maybe that is true for earlier versions as well.  idk, I missed 2011 and 2010)

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
Message 4 of 4
coopdetat
in reply to: AllenJessup

P.S. the default offset I am seeing is 5 Billion 368 Million 870 thousand + {the next available number}.  I had it wrong in my initial post.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report