Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Open a Drawing Saved by Others Without Using the Recover Command

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
DT7
Explorer
277 Views, 1 Reply

Cannot Open a Drawing Saved by Others Without Using the Recover Command

I was hoping someone could help me. I am running AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011 and when I open a drawing that was last saved by me everything works fine. But, when I try to open a drawing that was last saved by another computer (I work with 7 other people and it doesn't matter which one saved it last) then the drawing will pop up and then promptly close without fully opening. If I use the recover command then it will open. Sometimes it says it fixed errors sometimes it says there were no errors.

I "repaired" my installation of AutoCAD a few months ago using the installation disk to try and fix this problem but no help there.

I am running on XP service pack 3

pentium 4 CPU 3.00ghz

2.99 GHz, 2.99GB RAM

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

-Jenny

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
aaronlance
in reply to: DT7

I haven't seen that problem in Civil 3D 2011, but I used to have a similar trouble with certain files that had been saved in older versions of Architectural desktop and other AutoCAD verticals. Is it possible that the other CAD users have a different vertical product or using a template that might have incompatible data in it?

One method I used to diagnose the problem was to use DXFout after recovering the drawing, then try to re-import the data. This gave a line number where the error was encountered, then I used a text editor to see what the entity was.

Another method is to purge AppIDs, and pay attention to the list of Apps being purged. I remember in Civil 3D 2009 we had a problem with GENIUS_... AppIDs that bloated the files, but froze Civil 3D in the purge command.

Regardless of the problem you're having, it is a good idea to periodically purge AppIDs since they can significanly bloat your files and slow down open and save operations. I've had some drawings that shrunk from several MB to a few hundred KB just by purging AppIDs.

I've also found that xref'd drawings cause trouble because recover/audit can't repair an xref file. It's possible that they have an xref that has incompatible data. If xrefs are present, I would check them using the same methods.

- Aaron

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report