Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you convert a feature line to a 3d polyline?

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
learner12345
97103 Views, 19 Replies

Can you convert a feature line to a 3d polyline?

Feature lines are easy to make and great for grading.  However, when I try to save the drawing into
*.dxf, all the feature lines disappeared. 
Does this mean DXF files do not take feature lines?

I need the DXF files to up load into GPS.  Do I have to redraw everything in 3D polyline?
Or is there an easier way to convert feature lines into 3D polylines?

Thank you very much for your time!

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
TerryDotson
in reply to: learner12345

The EXPLODE command should convert a selection set of FeatureLines to 3dPolys.

Message 3 of 20

Sorry that I want to confirm something as the follows:

Does the vertexes of your feature line or 3D polyline are with different elevations? If Yes, how can you give different elevation for those vertexes of your feature line or 3D polyline?

Thank you,

3D Visualization

Message 4 of 20

To 3D Visualization,

For feature lines you can right click and use elevation editor; for 3D polyline, I just go into porperties, and change the Z there one point at the time.

Message 5 of 20
tom_berning

The one thing to be careful of when exploding feature lines to 3d polylines is when you have feature lines crossing each other and one is establishing the elevation at that point on the other one. If you do not have verticies at the crossings, the 3d polylines will not reflect the same elevation at that crossing.

Tom Berning
Woolpert, Inc.
Civil 3D 2020
Message 6 of 20

I used Autodesk Civil 3D version 2002, I can edit 3D polyline with different elevation at different vertices, but I can't figure out how to edit 3D Polyline with different elevation at different vertices using Civil 3D version 2010? Any idea? Thanks.

Message 7 of 20
learner12345
in reply to: TerryDotson

To TerryDotson,

It worked very well, all the elevations got transferred over.  Thank you very much.

***************************************************************************************************************************

I was using "Save as" with *.dxf format.  It does not work well with feature lines.

Here is the right way to do it:

To export a drawing to a DXF file                 

1. Verify that the drawing’s Model tab is selected.                    
  2. At the command line, enter UCS, and then enter World.                    
  3. Click  C3D (at the top left of the window) > Export > AutoCAD DXF.
  4. Enter a filename, and specify a path, if necessary.                                           
  5. Click Save.
Message 8 of 20

I have test several times, they didn't work.

I need to express different elevation stations at a horizontal alignment, that is, combine a horizontal with vertical alignments.

I used Autodesk Civil 3D version 2002, I can edit 3D polyline with different elevation at different vertices, but I can't figure out how to edit 3D Polyline with different elevation at different vertices using Civil 3D version 2010? Any idea? Thanks.

Message 9 of 20

Thank you, Tom_Berning

It is good to know that !

To 3Dvisualization,

I am sorry that I can't help.  I am a new user, Civil 2012 is the first one I ever used.  Why don't you post a new message about this, I'm sure someone would know.

good luck!

Message 10 of 20

You can edit 3d polyline vertex elevations two different ways. You can use the properties window to edit each vertex and change the Z value or you can use the edit elevations from the modify tab of the ribbon then under feature lines, it is one of the smaller buttons. You can also type editfeatureelevs at the command line.

Tom Berning
Woolpert, Inc.
Civil 3D 2020
Message 11 of 20

in 2012, if you click on the vertice number in porperties, you can move from point to point.  you can sign different horizontal with vertical alignments to each of them. 

not sure in 2010...

Message 12 of 20

Three ways didn't work. When change a vertex elevation, other vertices elevations are automatically changed to the same elevation. You can test a 3D polyline with several vertices, you will understand. I am sure there must be a key, but I can't find out. Could you find out for me?

Thank you

Message 13 of 20

List one of the polylines and post the list (or a portion of it) so we can see what you're working with. You should have no problem changing the elevation of an individual vertex.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 20

When you edit a 3D Polyline (created with 3dPoly command) there is a section in the Properties dialog that lists the vertex infomation. You can move down the polyline to the vertex you need to modify and set the elevation there.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 20
wfberry
in reply to: AllenJessup

He said is version is Civil 3D 2002, which I believe cannot be correct.  I believe that 2004 was the first but hardly worth much.

Bill

Message 16 of 20
Sinc
in reply to: wfberry

There was limited access to a 2004 incarnation, along with a public "preview" version in 2005.  The first "official" version was 2006.  Similarly, not worth much...  Smiley Wink

It wasn't until the 2009 version that it really got "ready for prime time".

Sinc
Message 17 of 20
amrfooda2008

Thank you so much.that is so ease and useful

Message 18 of 20
sam.therres

Exploding the feature lines works for me as long as my feature line is NOT in Site1.  Put your featurelines into a new site before exploding.

Message 19 of 20
sam.therres

Looking a bit deeper it appears that the real culprit it in the site properties - 3d geometry tab

Make sure that the site display mode is set to "use elevation" before exploding feature lines.

Message 20 of 20
AllenJessup
in reply to: sam.therres

Having two threads running concurrently about the same problem is getting confusing. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Exploding-featurelines-to-3D-Polylines/m-p/45...

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report