Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we please have better corridor and grading transition capabilities?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Neilw_05
903 Views, 8 Replies

Can we please have better corridor and grading transition capabilities?

I am getting very frustrated at the workflows required to model common grading scenarios. In site modeling we have to deal with all sorts of skewed geometry and transitions. Corridors are most efficient for modeling the linear parts of the site such as driveways and ditches but they are not adept and handling transitions such as when a shoulder needs to transition down to zero width or where the daylight slopes need to vary. So the workaround is to chop off part of the assembly and use gradings to handle the warpings and messy geometry.

Now gradings work great for handling slope transitions but they are poor for handling linear transitions. I can't make a  shoulder transition to zero width. I have to apply a very small width segment at the end of the transition to approximate it. Then when I apply the daylight grading I have to leave a gap at that little shoulder segment because gradings can't handle that transition. From then on I have to deal with all those tiny grading regions whenever I need to make adjustments to the grading. Any way we turn we are hampered by these limitations which leads to a lot of tedious and clunky workaournds.

If we are going to work efficiently we really need to get these issues addressed. We need to be able to transition the daylight slopes and between assemblies along a range of stations in corridors and we need to transition distance gradings down to zero width. We need to be able to transition daylight gradings between different target regions.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: Neilw_05

You mean the sort of functionality you'd expect from a top dollar "BIM" program.....?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 9
tcorey

These are the sorts of things we are hoping the Interactive Terrain Modeler will help with.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 9
Neilw_05
in reply to: tcorey

I haven't used the Interactive terrain modeler Tim, but it is my understanding that it is more suited to creating quick conceptual designs vs. the precision C3D design tools. Having to rely on another tool set would make the work flow even more complicated in my mind. If we can use it for precision design and documentation then I'll look in to it.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 5 of 9
neilyj666

@Neilw wrote:

I haven't used the Interactive terrain modeler Tim, but it is my understanding that it is more suited to creating quick conceptual designs vs. the precision C3D design tools. Having to rely on another tool set would make the work flow even more complicated in my mind. If we can use it for precision design and documentation then I'll look in to it.

..this was certainly my impression when viewing the accompanying video tutorials and various blogs about it.

As I've said on many occasions, Autodesk should really be concentrating on making the current precision design tool set as good as it can possibly be and making it more useful i.e. extract one/several /all feature lines from a corridor in one hit.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 9
Wilderman2

That sounds fantastic, but I would actually settle for the current grading routines being robust enough to use.  They're still not ready for prime time.

Message 7 of 9
fcernst

I was inspired by Kati Mercier's post the other day addressing the Minimum Foreslope Width problem, to look into  Subassembly Composer which I hadn't done before. Now I have a surface daylight linear transitioning subassembly (1st picture) and a horizontal linear transitioning subassembly (2nd picture).

Fully horizontally and vertically dynamic. No offset alignments or feature lines used; all subassembly driven calculations.

The daylight slope on the right side transitions from 1:1 at the start to 10:1 at the end;

Capture2.JPG

The links starting either side of CL transition from 1' to 15' wide:

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 9
tcorey

@Neilw wrote:

A year ago when I looked at Interactive Terrain Modeler, you're correct, it's not suited for precision design. But I'm thinking ahead, I am hoping it will become a solution that provides relief for this complaint. The base concept of the feature suggests that with much refinement, it could evolve into the tool we've imagined.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 9
Neilw_05
in reply to: fcernst

I just now got the sense of what you are doing with these subassemblies Ernst. It addresses at least one of the problems, transitioning slopes. Very nice.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report