Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't locate blocks in a drawing

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Tentie
29426 Views, 9 Replies

Can't locate blocks in a drawing

I have C3D2012 and a drawing that contains 2 blocks that I can not find.  I have tried redefining them to something so big and obvious, but can not find them.  All layers on and thawed.  -Purge does not get rid of them.  Audit finds nothing wrong.

Insert command shows the 2 blocks listed as in the drawing, but I can not find them to remove them.  No Xref's in this drawing. 14Mb drawing.  I do not think they are nested blocks as none of the other blocks contain these two blocks.

Any ideas on how I can locate the blocks, so I can ultimately remove them?

I am frustrated on this one.  Help - please.

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jeff_M
in reply to: Tentie

Point styles?

Block Component of Label Styles?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 10
Tentie
in reply to: Jeff_M

@Jeff_M wrote:

Point styles?

Block Component of Label Styles?

Thanks for the thoughts Jeff.

Unfortunately, they do not appear to be the issue.  Point Styles are using the simple X for the pdstyle, instead of a block.

No label styles are accessing the blocks either.

Another bit of info - there are also several linetypes that I can not purge.  I have checked layers, blocks, etc. and can not find them either, so they can't be deleted or purged.

I was going to try wblocking the drawing to see what goes with it.  Maybe.... 🙂

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
Message 4 of 10
Tentie

Update - WBLOCK was able to get rid of the undesired blocks but the linetypes still remain.  Hmmmmm.

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
Message 5 of 10
AllenJessup

Since you know the block name you can use QSelect to select it. Then use Zoom Object to zoom to the block. You can use the same method to List or Explode the block.

BTW. Just because a block is defined in the drawing doesn't mean an instance of it resides in the drawing. You can have hundreds of blocks defined in a drawing and not see any until they are inserted. Most Civil 3D templates have many blocks defined in them without any being inserted.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
Tentie
in reply to: AllenJessup

Thank you - QSELECT was the command I was looking for.  This solves my issue!

Happy New Year!

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
Message 7 of 10
llopez9KM5Q
in reply to: AllenJessup

Thank you, OMG! I created an account just to like your comment! Good day.

Message 8 of 10

@AllenJessup wrote:

Since you know the block name you can use QSelect to select it. Then use Zoom Object to zoom to the block. You can use the same method to List or Explode the block.

BTW. Just because a block is defined in the drawing doesn't mean an instance of it resides in the drawing. You can have hundreds of blocks defined in a drawing and not see any until they are inserted. Most Civil 3D templates have many blocks defined in them without any being inserted.

Allen

this is interesting.  i'm using Autocad 2021, and there is a new feature in the purge menu that allows me to see objects that are not purgeable.  I have some linetypes that I want to purge but cannot find.  the purge menu tells me that they are located on the 0 layer in a block called A86.  I tried the quick select, and could not find the block, so I tried as you suggested to insert the block, and it still is not listed.  it must be embedded in yet another block, that I cannot find.  

Message 9 of 10

The block may also be part of a linetype definition. Some of these references can get circular.

You could try Drawing Purge from the Autodesk App Store.

DWGP.png

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
rick

I'm having the same issue with my 2021 drawing, one of a few that 2021 has presented, wish I would've stayed in '18....I've lost so much time with this version. Can't find block and it's a BIG one, too...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report