Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't label certain pipes/structures

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
keith.kempker
6155 Views, 23 Replies

Can't label certain pipes/structures

Can someone tell me why I can't label certain pipes/structures?  I can select the pipe or structure, rt click, add label and I get nothing.  The layer is on cause I can see other labels. I also get the same result when I go to annotation, pipe label.   This only happenes to certain pipes or structure, others in the same network label fine.  I'm kind of at a loss.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
jmayo-EE
in reply to: keith.kempker

Is the layer off or frozen?

Is the default label style (command setting) set to None or No Display?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 24
keith.kempker
in reply to: jmayo-EE

No

No.

Again, it's just certain pipes or structures.  The pipes and structures in the same profile view just the downstream from the problem ones label fine.

Message 4 of 24
cpennetti

Are you saying its a problem with parts in profile views? Does your profile view station go a little beyond total alignment station?
Message 5 of 24
keith.kempker
in reply to: cpennetti

Correct, only in profile views.  The alignment does not go beyound the structure.

Message 6 of 24
cpennetti

well, if it's the same thing i've seen on my profiles, even when an alignment starts at 0+00 and goes to something like 1+53 from a few structures, you have to set the profile view to something like -0+50 and 2+00 (or some other value beyond the length of the profile) for those end structure and pipe labels to show up. 

But, if it's a band thing, you'll want to check the option to show band labels at start and end...

Message 7 of 24
TCARCAMO78

here is what i usually do.

1. check to make sure the pipe or structure is tied to an alignment and right on top of the alignment and not offset
  2. ensure the pipe or structure is tied to a surface
  3. run a  -PURGE then R for regapps
  4. then audit
  5. then REA for regenall.
  6. also check to ensure that you are still pointing to the correct pipes catalog
  7. if you still can't label the pipe i will do a pipe swap then swap it back to what it was originally.

Tony

CAD Manager

www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com

Tony Carcamo
CAD Manager
www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com
Message 8 of 24

Still can't label the pipe.  Here is the kicker, I can label the pipe in plan just fine, just not in profile view.  Here is what I get:

Select profile view:
Selected entity must be of type: Profile View

Message 9 of 24
jmayo-EE

Are you selecting the profile view before selecting the pipe?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 24
keith.kempker

no

Message 11 of 24
areese9779

Keith,

We have often had the same issue with pipes in profile view.  The key is to extend the profile view well beyond the last structure - 100' or more.  You'll be able to label the structure, or to see the label(s) you've already created.  

Andy

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Dell Precision M4800, Windows 10 64-bit
Message 12 of 24
keith.kempker
in reply to: areese9779

Even though I had the alignment extended past the end of pipe/structure, I was not able to label it.  I extended the alignment WAY past the end and yes, I was able to label the pipe.  I also went back and just extended the profile view, it works.  And doing some other testing, if I extend the profile view 34.07' more, the label works, if it's .01' less, the label will not show.

Message 13 of 24

hmmm, I think I found something.  I think it's tied to the label you are trying to apply.  what I mentioned above worked for labeling JUST the pipe number.  I tried to label the pipe with H x W, Pipe type, L @ Slope and it wouldn't label.  If I extended the profile view by a large amount, it would label.
Message 14 of 24
mpryor433

I'll get this problem sometimes if the profile view reads from right to left. Change the style to left to right reading, label the pipe, then switch back to right to left reading.

Message 15 of 24
jmayo-EE
in reply to: mpryor433

Is a portion of the pipe outside of the alignment station range? If so, Profile View Properties, Staions tab. Put in user values to make the profile view long enough to see the full pipe. You should also see the labels if this is the issue.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 24
sjg
Advisor

One thing I've done without realizing was trying to label pipes in profile with plan view label. Make sure you select sinlge part profile view when labeling profile.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 17 of 24
StumpMasterFlex
in reply to: sjg

SIG - I had the same problem and was trying to right click on the pipe in the profile but it would not add a label.  When I selected annotate from the Ribbon and did what you said

"One thing I've done without realizing was trying to label pipes in profile with plan view label. Make sure you select sinlge part profile view when labeling profile."

It worked.  The label appeared.  The right click add did not work.

Thanks for your post.  It helped.

Kindest Regards
Michael,
Civil Design Technologist (Exploration Technologist)
Civil 3D 2013
Windows 8
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
32. GB
64-bit Oepration System, x64-based processor
No Pen or Touch Input
Message 18 of 24
arjun.kumar

I'm also having same problem.. Unable to label the pipe and structure but all Label styles are turned on and Layers also.

Message 19 of 24
BLAINEMLLE7

I was having the same issue. If your structure is showing up in the profile then the issue isn't that the alignment is to short; if its not showing up in the profile extend the alignment. However, if your parts are in the profile and the labels arent coming in its an issue with your profile stationing. Just make your profile slightly larger along the x-axis and the labels will appear. 

Message 20 of 24
mayowalewis

I recently ran into this problem.

The solution was that I needed to connect the pipes in the alignment to the respective structures. The labels weren't showing up because there were no pipes connected to the structure I was trying to label.

Connect pipes to the structure by selecting the respective pipes in the plan view (NOT profile view). Then select the connect part command in the "Pipe Networks" ribbon. Select the structure you want to connect to and once the two are successfully connected, the label shows up in the profile view for the respective structure.

I hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report