Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't edit (add structures) to my network

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jnjhuz
2106 Views, 6 Replies

Can't edit (add structures) to my network

I can't figure out how to reverse the flow direction on my pipe so I was going to just redraw it but after I delete a pipe and rt click to edit network the "add pipes and stuctures" won't let me add anything. I'm just guessing I need to reverse the flow direction because my invert out and invert in elevations are backwards in the profile. I'm working in Civil3D 2012.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: jnjhuz

One way the Flow Direction can be reversed is in "Pipe Properties" dialog>Pipe Flow Direction Method.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 7
jnjhuz
in reply to: Jay_B

I have tried changing that but no matter what option I change it to my IE
OUT label gives me the numbers for IE IN and the IE IN gives me the numbers
for IE OUT. This label work for other parts of the pipe network. Just not
this piece. I just assumed it was the flow direction that was the problem
but Maybe it's something else.
Message 4 of 7
castled071049

Flow direction is the problem. Did you try reversing the direction using MODIFY>Pipe Networks>Modify>Change Flow Direction? This is the correct way to reverse direction. 

Message 5 of 7
jnjhuz
in reply to: castled071049

I just tried it this morning and It asked me to pick the upstream end
structure so I picked the highest structure (that would show in the profile)
and then It asked me to pick the downstream structure so I picked the FES
and entered. I think I did it right but in the profile nothing changed. I
picked a pipe and said to apply rules but the inverts are still backwards.
Message 6 of 7
castled071049

I see your problem now. Structures can label Invert Flow In and Invert Flow Out, and that IN-OUT direction is determined by the flow direction of your system (and modified using the Change Flow Direction command). 

Pipes, however, do not recognize Flow In and Flow Out; they only recognize Start Elevation and End Elevation. Start and End are determined solely by the driection they are drawn initially and can only be changed (as far as I know) by swapping them end for end with grip edits, or deleting and redrawing them in the correct direction. This is why it is critically important to pay attention to the direction pipes are drawn when creating the network. The Edit Network toolbar has an icon showing the default start to end direction... pay attention to this when creating your pipes. This is especially crucial if using Spanning Pipes Labels, otherwise slopes will label incorrectly as well. 

Message 7 of 7
jnjhuz
in reply to: castled071049

Ahhh, yes this works. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report