Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't edit MATERIAL in PIPE PROPERTIES 2012??? (was able to in 2011)

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
ccoady
4812 Views, 16 Replies

Can't edit MATERIAL in PIPE PROPERTIES 2012??? (was able to in 2011)

I created a pipe network using Civil 3D 2011 and we upgraded to 2012 in the middle of the process.

I've always been able to edit the MATERIAL of the pipe for (I like to add class and type in this column)

It worked fine in 2011 as you can see in the first image.

Pipe Properties 2011.jpg

But in 2012, the material changes that I added in 2011 chow up, but I can't edit them or revise them. Anyone know why??

Pipe Properties 2012.jpg

I'm really frustrated with this change because it causes me to have to label my pipes in the label editor instead of assigning the material property in the pipe properties with-in my pipe network.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  (I searched before posting and came up with no answer that pertained to 2012).

THANKS!!!

Currently operating Autodesk Civil 3D 2012, AutoCAD 2012, Bentley MicroStation V8i
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Jeff_M
in reply to: ccoady

I am able to edit the pipe material in 2012. Is the pipe network a data reference? DRef'ed pipes cannot be edited except in the source drawing.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 17
ccoady
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks for the response.  I'm trying to edit the pipes in the source drawing.  I am hoping it's not because the drawing was originally created in 2012 and maybe having some conflicts, but I don't understand how that would happen.  I guess I should just try to create a new drawing and see if i have the same problem?

Currently operating Autodesk Civil 3D 2012, AutoCAD 2012, Bentley MicroStation V8i
Message 4 of 17
ccoady

I opened a drawing that i created exclusively in 2012, and I'm able to edit the pipe material.  The drawing that I am referencing to in the post, I'm still only able to modify the STRUCTURE parts materials, but still not the PIPE materials, and yes I'm in the network source drawing.  I'm lost and really need this fixed or else I'll have to manually input my pipe class and type in every drawing, pland & profile view.

Message 5 of 17
ccoady

On a side note, I have 2 pipe networks in the same source drawing.  Existing and proposed.  I'm able to edit the existing, but still unable to edit the poposed pipe material.  I can modify the structures on BOTH though.  I'm lost.

Message 6 of 17
Jeff_M

Can you post or email the drawing file? miff AT sonic DOT net

EESignature
Message 7 of 17
ccoady

I will email it.  The drawing was created in 2011 about 5 months ago and the guy that created it has been in the hospital since May, so I'm have a heck of a time trying to sort through his stuff.

Message 8 of 17
ccoady

Ok, well some materials, the cursor comes up and lets me type into the materials parameter, but when I hit apply, the disappear.  There is also a pulldown menu in place of where I would normally type.

Message 9 of 17
Jeff_M

Well....I am now able to edit the pipe materials for that Network. Here are the steps I took.....open PartBuilder, edit the ConcretePipe type, delete the Param named Mat, saved and exited PartBuilder. Used the command PARTCATALOGREGEN. Edited the StormSewer parts list, hit OK once the partlist was didplayed (no edits were actually made). Selected a pipe, chose Properties, changed the Material, saved. 

I checked my 2010 install and the Conrete Pipe in part builder there does not have that MAT parameter. The one in 2012 was set to a constant param type, so I suspect this is what the problem was. But I won't have time to investigate this for a while.

EESignature
Message 10 of 17
ccoady

Thanks so much!  This will save me a ton of time if it fixes it since this job has 4 phases.

Message 11 of 17
ccoady

Well, it lets me modify it once, but if I try it again, it won't let me.  I go back into the parts builder and the "mat" parameter is back 😞

Message 12 of 17
Jeff_M

Did you save the parameters in PartBuilder? You must save close the parameter form before the part drawing.

I have no problem editing the material more than once, even after saving, closing, and reopeing the drawing.

EESignature
Message 13 of 17
ccoady

I keep getting read only errors....even after I change the properties of the folder from read only, it still reverts back automatically.  I finally got it to save.  Is there a way to link the parts catalog to a location on a server so I don't have to make these changes on every machine?  Right now my parts are saved uner c:/Program Data>Autodsek>C3D 2012>enu>Pipes Catalog ect....

Can it be changes in my options much like my default template, block and other default locations??

Message 14 of 17
Jeff_M

My next question was going to be "Are you networked...". I run a standalone install so don't have to think about this much. I do recall there being other posts regarding a network setup for PartCatalogs. I'm going to have to defer to others with a better grasp on this side of it. Sorry.

EESignature
Message 15 of 17
ccoady

That's ok, I figured it out yesterday using the search bar on here.  Thanks for your help.  everything is working perfectly now!

Message 16 of 17
annw2

2012 - I can edit the material in the Storm Sewer parts list, but not the Sanitary.

Whose bright idea was it to put in "Reinforced Concrete Pipe" instead of RCP?

As I have two whole pipes in the one drawing, I changed the label style manually.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 17 of 17
jmayo-EE

A belated thank you. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report