AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

walkah21
Message 1 of 6 (790 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't add grading to surface

790 Views, 5 Replies
01-31-2014 04:42 PM

I've graded some feature lines of a trail that we have. I graded them at a 20:1 slope/catch to the existing surface. Now, I want to add this grading to my design surface. So normally, I can select the bottom of the catch, right click and select "Add to Surface". Now, when I select the catch line, it selects the whole grading feature and I can't add it to my design surface. I've never had this happen to me before.

Valued Contributor
Citadel2012
Message 2 of 6 (776 Views)

Re: Can't add grading to surface

01-31-2014 04:56 PM in reply to: walkah21

I think previously you were probably grabbing the feature line created by the grading. If you were to use the prospector to select the grab the feature lines (created by the grading, under the grading Site's drop down menu), you could add them to the surface as breaklines.

Message 3 of 6 (717 Views)

02-03-2014 08:44 AM in reply to: Citadel2012

Unfortunately, the grading is not creating feature lines for some reason. I have never ran into this. Thanks for your response.  I've attached a screenshot of the surface with triangles turned on.  The two circled sets are all part of the same grading feature.  In the left you can see that it created triangles, but in the right, no triangles were create.  Any ideas why?  (Ignore the interpolated triangles on the left of the screen)

Valued Contributor
Citadel2012
Message 4 of 6 (706 Views)

02-03-2014 08:59 AM in reply to: walkah21

It looks (from that picture) that the one grading area without triangles is not part of the surface (hence why no triangles are displayed). If you can't play with the gradings and delete & recreate a few to get it working properly, you can just draw a feature line tracing a similar path as the grading daylight line and add that new feature line to your surface. You already know where this line is because the grading has projected to it. Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 6 (698 Views)

02-03-2014 09:11 AM in reply to: Citadel2012
I think for budget's sake, this will be the quickest solution. Thanks for your help!
*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 6 of 6 (679 Views)

02-03-2014 10:39 AM in reply to: walkah21

Sounds like you have a grading conflict somewhere. this snip of your grading doesn't look healthy. You should examine the parent line for cleanliness. those projection lines look like a file corruption waiting to happen.

goprob.PNG

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs