Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Reference Surface Datashortcuts

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
ppennington32
9784 Views, 10 Replies

Can't Reference Surface Datashortcuts

Im not able to create a reference to a data shortcut surface. I was able to at one proint but not the Create Reference option is graded out in existing drawings.

I am able to create a reference with a new drawing but not with my existing drawings.

The datashortcuts are set to Handle or Name. I've tried deleting the shortcut and recreating the shortcut with no success. Although, I didnt manually delete the xml file from the directory not sure if I need to or not.

The surfaces in question were created with the create surface from GIS data tool. Both surfaces have a exclamation mark beside the snapshot in the definition. I never quite got my head around the snapshot functionality. So I;m not sure if that has soemthing to do with it. I believe the create surface from GIS data tool create s the snapshot on the surface.

Thanks

Pat

Civil 3d 2011 Latest Update

Windows 7 64

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: ppennington32

I'm not saying this is your problem, but Create Reference will be greyed out if the surface is already referenced into the currently open drawing. I was reluctant to post this in fear of offending you (I can tell by your post you are an experienced user,) but sometimes we can miss the obvious. I know I do.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 11
ppennington32
in reply to: tcorey

No offense taken.

There is no surface in the drawing, referenced or native.

However, I promoted the data reference and it named the surface EG_SOUTH (1). By adding the (1) to the end of the surface it seems that Civil 3D thinks that a surface or referemce already exists. I may of had the surface referenced in the drawing and deleted it. I can't remember.

Also, I have a profile referenced in that drawing and the profile is referncing the surface in another drawing. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

Thanks for your suggestion, and any suggestion.

Pat

Message 4 of 11

I find saved state also affects this. Try clikcing on the save button, then try.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 5 of 11
tyronebk
in reply to: ppennington32

It's likely one of two problems. The object may exist in the drawing but is enclosed in a block therefore it doesn't show in prospector (use purge to remove unused blocks). The other problem may be that the drawing database thinks that the object exists in the document; in this case run an audit to rectify these non-existent objects.
Message 6 of 11
ppennington32
in reply to: tyronebk

Sweet!

It was in a block that I purged. Didnt realize object could be in a block like that . I think that is going to be my solution for some profiles I was trying to data reference. I would shortcut a profile and it would create a copy of the alignement,

Good Deal. Thanks!

Pat

Message 7 of 11
tcorey

Great answer.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 8 of 11
Avera737

This worked for me.  Great tip.

Message 9 of 11
anishka_ram
in reply to: Avera737

Hi everyone,

someone please help meSmiley Sad

Im currently working on a drainage layout and profiles.

I have datashort cut my surface drawing so that i could easily pull out my alignments from the layout and generate my profiles on a separate dwg.

However, i had to make some adjustments on my surface so i opened the original surface drawings and made some edits.

When i returned to the drainage layout and profile drawing, the surface started to syncronize, and then no data showed up on my profiles (which was previously shown).

I checked the source surface file is referenced in the datashortcut and shown in the toolspace under datashortcuts.   im able to open it and view the changes, but for some reason its not pulling from the datashortcut?? Please help!!

Message 10 of 11
Avera737
in reply to: anishka_ram

This is a little off-topic and probably deserves its own thread but...

Have you tried to dref (data shortcut) the surface into a new blank drawing?  If that works it may be quickest to delete the "blank" surface from your drainage/profile drawing, re-dref the surface, and rebuild the profiles.  You would only have to re-label the pipe network in profile view assuming you place the new profiles in the same location.

If you could provide some more details (screenshots) that may be useful.

Here's hoping the rest of your Friday is less stressful!

Message 11 of 11
Anastasiia.Beebe
in reply to: tcorey

I have a similar problem, i was able to create reference for the surface and alignment, but when i have started the same process for the profile, it does not show up. It's greyed out, but doesn't show it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report