Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a point file be created from contour lines (at elevation)?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
amm30165
561 Views, 10 Replies

Can a point file be created from contour lines (at elevation)?

I have contour lines (at elevation); can I create a point file from these without having to pick the individual polylines? Is there a way to window all the polylines at once?
Alicia
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: amm30165

If you extract the contours from the surface you can then create points
along the plines. There are a number of options to do this manually and
automatically from the Point Creation Toolbar or the Points Ribbon drop
down.

--
John Mayo, PE

Core i7 920 6GB DDR3
Radeon 4870HD 1 GB
Vista64
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Perhaps if we knew just what you are after, an easy solution might be
available.

Bill
Message 4 of 11
dwescott

62 different ways to do the same thing, have you considered...

Creating a surface from your contours, then auto-creating points in a grid on your new surface? Export them and you're done. Could do it in a few minutes in LDD, it'd take me a while to find the right spot in 3d2010. I'd assume you could create additional points manually to catch the crucial spots the grid missed.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

If the OP is looking to import into GIS a Map export of extracted contours
would provide the requisite shape files.

Joe
Message 6 of 11
amm30165

I should have been more specific. I have imported various shp files (from ArcMap - ESRI). I now have existing spot elevation nodes and contour lines (at the correct elevation). I'd like to create existing ground line profiles. I thought a point file had to be created to begin this whole process. I see one can create points from polylines by manually picking them, one by one. I wish I could just window all my spots and polylines at once; but it's probably not that simple. . .
Alicia
Message 7 of 11
JeffPaulsen

Am I missing something?

If you need to create existing ground profiles why not just build a surface from your imported contours and points then create alignments and profiles?
Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 8 of 11
amm30165

I'd like to use civil 3d as it is intended and create plan and profile sheets for a sewer project. Trying to wrap my mind around the logic of civil 3d may take some time and practice I am sure. Maybe I need to pose a new question - How do I build a surface from my contours and spots? I assume that once I have this surface, I can create profiles from my alignment line.
Alicia
Message 9 of 11
amm30165

would I create a TIN surface?
Alicia
Message 10 of 11
Civil3DReminders

Yes, also take a look at the tutorials. If you do the ones that seem to be what you want to do you should be able to get the easy questions out of the way.

Christopher
Message 11 of 11
amm30165

Thanks to all who responded to this post. I'll be doing more tutorials. Have a great day!
Alicia

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report