Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Autocad civil 3d be used in place of autocad 3d modeling??

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mdimranshah177
402 Views, 4 Replies

Can Autocad civil 3d be used in place of autocad 3d modeling??

Hello I'm a civil engineering student. Recently I came to to know about autocad civil 3d. My query is would I be able to perform works that an autocad 3d model expert can do with just autocad 3d?? I'm in a bit of confusion about selecting one of them. Also I need to be able to autocad 3d drafting. Can anyone please help?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
neilyj666
in reply to: mdimranshah177

Civil 3D is used in the civil engineering industry and is plain AutoCad with more bells and whistles i.e. just about anything that AutoCAD can do can be done in Civil 3D.

If you are talking about 3d modelling e.g. buildings, vehicles, furniture etc then plain AutoCAD will do the job with a lower sysem requirement.

If you are not involved in Civil Engineering then leave Civil 3D well alone and stick with plain AutoCAD.....!!!!!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 5

Civil 3D is Autodesks Civil Engineering program. It is built on both plain AutoCAD and Map 3D. There may be a couple of commands from plain AutoCAD that are disabled in Civil. Mainly those that might disturb the coordinates or units. For Civil Engineering you should be using Civil 3D.

There are a few things that might be confusing at first. A Civil 3D surface is not an AutoCAD surface. A Civil 3D Cogo point is not an AutoCAD point. But I can't think of anything you can do in plain AutoCAD that you can't do in Civil 3D.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
mdimranshah177
in reply to: neilyj666

Thanks a lot guys for the help. I'm going with the autocad civil 3d.

Regards

Message 5 of 5

And if you just want to use C3D as plain AutoCAD, just use the "AutoDesk AutoCAD Civil3D as AutoCAD" shortcut created in your Start Menu (Start Screen) and most of the C3D interface is gone and it looks like plain AutoCAD.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report