Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating Pipe Cover Depth

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
admin
4137 Views, 5 Replies

Calculating Pipe Cover Depth

We're trying to start using Civil 3d's takeoff features.

Contractors bill us for burying pipe based on how deep they have to dig the trench. 0-6 feet is one price, then each 2ft after that adds additional (but varying) cost.

This is charged per LINEAR FOOT, not per pipe. So if a 100-ft length of pipe trench has a depth of 6 ft for the first 20 feet, then slopes up to 7 ft depth for 40 feet, then back down for next rest of the way, you'd have 60 ft charged at the 0-6 foot price and 40 ft charged at the 6-8ft price.

The Quick Takeoff tool allows pricing per linear foot for pipe, but only based on the AVERAGE depth of the pipe. Because the cost of additional depth can vary, I don't think I can make a formula that calculates the cost correctly.

I think the value could be calculated if I could create a corridor from the pipe, as I could then create a corridor surface and do a volume takeoff between the ground and pipe surfaces.

SO....is there any way to create a surface or corridors from a pipe notwork?

OR...maybe a way to label the points on a profile where the pipe cover is exactly 6ft, 8ft, 10ft, etc.

OR....any other solution that might give a correct answer to charging based on pipe cover per foot.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ralstogj
in reply to: admin

Hi

One way I heard of is using a invert profile line and then the combined geometery report in the UK country kits to get depths to invert at 1 metre intervals in excel and the summing them up.

This is just another area where Autodesk have failed to study what happens in the real world and implement it into their software package in a usable way.

Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
Message 3 of 6
admin
in reply to: ralstogj

That's what I want to do (since there is no built-in way). But I have many alignments in this network. Is there any way to more quickly create the invert profiles? I have gone as far even as trying to export the pipes as SDF and use mapimport to try to get lines for a temporary surface but every way I try comes in at 0 elevation. 

When you explode a pipe in plan view, it becomes a block, then when I explode the block it becomes a line. The line has Z coordinates of 0. Why? Why does not not use the invert values or the pipe centerline and become a 3d line?!

Message 4 of 6
dusanwww

Hi,

I create pressure network (cover of depth 1.6m) but I want in some places go deeper with pipes. Here some drawing to see. I want to follow magenta line for example

Message 5 of 6
ralstogj

Hi

Check out this video at the 36 min mark and Brian shows his work flow for lowering a section of pressure pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZTpnUgbNY4

Regards

[airey]

Justin Ralston
Senior Engineer - Manager Queenstown

AIREY CONSULTANTS LTD
P.O.Box 2069, Wakatipu, Queenstown, 9349│ Level 2, Von House, Remarkables Park
Ph +64 3 442 3101 │ Fax +64 3 442 3102 │ Mob +64 274 566 660
Email justinr@aireys.co.nz │ Web www.aireys.co.nz

The information contained in this email is privileged and confidential and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are asked to respect that confidentiality and not disclose, copy or make use of its contents. AIREY CONSULTANTS LIMITED ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR CHANGES MADE TO THIS EMAIL OR ANY ATTACHMENTS AFTER TRANSMISSION FROM AIREY CONSULTANTS LTD. If received in error you are asked to destroy the email and contact the sender immediately.
P Please consider the environment before printing this email.
Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
Message 6 of 6
dusanwww
in reply to: ralstogj

Hi ralstogj, i project pressure pipe network but I can not project minimum depth of cover. I need minimum depth of cover 1,6m in all network.

What is the "depth of cover" mean exactly? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report