Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate difference between 2 different cross-sections

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
chienanchua
1962 Views, 7 Replies

Calculate difference between 2 different cross-sections

Hi guys,

With reference to the picture attached, I am trying to find the overlapping area between two different cross-sections. I.e.the area of green minus the area of white.

The hard way to do it would be to sketch a closed polyline over the area I want but I have about 100 of these to do and more to come.

Is there a fast and smarter way to solve this problem?  Really appreciate it. Thank you.

Chien

Engineering Undergraduate
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i7-3840QM 2.80GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 680M 4GB
16GB RAM
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mathewkol
in reply to: chienanchua

All you need are two surfaces sampled in the section view then use the compute materials tool to do the area and volume calculation.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 8
chienanchua
in reply to: mathewkol

Yes! Thank you for your help! I have indirectly solved my problem.

i.e I am able to determine the area of the red, green and white section. The area which I am interested in is WHITE -  RED which I am able to do now by excel.

However, do you think there is a better method to approach this problem?

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013

Windows 7 64-bit
16GB RAM
Message 4 of 8
mathewkol

Would it not just be the difference between the blue and orange surfaces?  Wait,m no, that's the red that you've done.  I'm unsure what you mean by RED-White.  Do you essentially want to get rid of the white where there is red?  If so, you'd ned to tweak your material volumes to include more than 2 surfaces.

1.png

3.png

2.png

Matt Kolberg
Message 5 of 8
chienanchua
in reply to: mathewkol

Yes you are right ! I am interested in the "pure" white area only. I want to get rid of the white area where there is red & also the green area.

The White Hex Area is supposed to be the ground level at the Site as of most recently. The faint dotted green line below the White Hex area is the Original Ground Level. The Green area and some parts below it is actually the Design Level. Hence the Green area is how much which needs to be filled in order to reach the desired level and the Red area is how much which should be cut to match the slope of the desired road level.

But i think I know the solution to my problem ! 🙂

I should have just changed the Target surface of my Corridor to the White Surface instead of keeping it to the OGL ! duhh.. 

Thank you very much mathewk for your quick and helpful responses!

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013

Windows 7 64-bit
16GB RAM
Message 6 of 8
mathewkol

My pleasure.

Matt Kolberg
Message 7 of 8
mikesGZMBR

I am not sure how did you guys resolve the question.

I have the same problem,  how do i get the difference in cross-sectional area out of the two sections in Section View in Civil 3D?

See attached.  Please feel free to respond to this or email the response to mikehermosa@live.com

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.  

Capture1.JPG

Message 8 of 8
mikesGZMBR

I am not sure how did you guys resolve the question.

I have the same problem,  how do i get the difference in cross-sectional area out of the two sections in Section View in Civil 3D?

See attached.  Please feel free to respond to this or email the response to mikehermosa@live.com

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE. 

Capture1.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report