Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate Sum of Multiple Polyline Areas

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
ldesigner
100025 Views, 33 Replies

Calculate Sum of Multiple Polyline Areas

Using Civil 3D 2011 - what is the command to add up multiple polyline areas or hatched areas (square feet) at one time?  It's quite time consuming to list each polyline individually and add up the areas by hand.

I've done this before, just can't remember the command.

Thank you.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ldesigner

🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 22 of 34
jmayo-EE
in reply to: neilyj666

Yeah regions work well but you can't edit them so it's a recreation for each revision. The new hatch editing commands make revision much easier. Add/delete verticies, grip edits, set boundary, generate boundary. These make it very easy.

We do get dwg errors when we hatch xref's but the errors clean up well with Audit or Recover.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 23 of 34
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Sorry. This was suppose to respond to Allen's last post.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 24 of 34
grafp

I deleted my post about regions after I noticed someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread. You're are right about the new hatch editing features. What a great improvement.

P. Graf
C3D 2009 & 2010
Windows XP
3 GB ram
intel Core 2 Duo
ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
Message 25 of 34
AllenJessup

Yeah. Well Regions can be edited but not that easily. I see that hatches are reactive and that's a great benefit. If and when I get back to this work I'm sure I'll be using hatches!

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 26 of 34
AllenJessup
in reply to: grafp

Oh. That's what happened. I thought the newsgroup was playing tricks again.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 27 of 34
AllenJessup

BTW. This is me editing a Region

RE.png

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 28 of 34
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: castled071049

LMAO Smiley Very Happy

Your Name

EESignature

Message 29 of 34
jmayo-EE
in reply to: AllenJessup

What commands are you using to edit the region?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 30 of 34
AllenJessup

Wondered when you'd ask.Smiley Wink

In the example I posted I'm using the Move command. It's a little tricky. If you hold down CTRL you can select one side of a Region. You can then use standard editing commands like move to affect that side. When I created the polyline I converted to a Region, I included a 0.001 unit length segment at each "Corner". I then held down CTRL and selected that segment using a Window. Then started the move command and it looks like I'm stretching that corner.

You can use the CTRL trick on polylines too. Selecting multiple segments to Move, Scale, Rotate or Delete.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 31 of 34
CADmgrMike

Is there any way to get your method to work if all the line work, hatching, etc is in a base drawing that is xrefed into a sheet?

I would like the table to be in the sheet if possible.

Mike Porter
https://provostandpritchard.com/
Message 32 of 34
Hochanz

I agree with jmayo - hatch and field. great option.

thank you

I modify when required !!
Message 33 of 34
jmayo-EE
in reply to: CADmgrMike

Yes you can hatch well thru an xref ( you still require no overlapping objects, crossings and constant Z on all objects) but there are issues with hatching thru an xref that have been around for a while. I don't know if it's fixed in 16 or 17 but with 15 and lower hatching an xref leads to the Drawing Errors Found dialog appearing at saves, Audit_Bad_Layers will appear. These have been benign in my experiance and are typically fixed with an audit.

Big thx once again to @Jeff_M for helping me determine this issue when we were using 12 or 13.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 34 of 34
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: CADmgrMike

Not for nuthin but the dATAEXTRACTION wizard can extract the areas of hatches across any number of XREFS and report in in a table in another file.

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report