Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate Sum of Multiple Polyline Areas

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
ldesigner
100056 Views, 33 Replies

Calculate Sum of Multiple Polyline Areas

Using Civil 3D 2011 - what is the command to add up multiple polyline areas or hatched areas (square feet) at one time?  It's quite time consuming to list each polyline individually and add up the areas by hand.

I've done this before, just can't remember the command.

Thank you.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ldesigner

I typically use a hatch and report the area with a field in a text string or a table if I need to run calcs.

If hatching isn't working, use Mapclean to form non overlapping fully closed boundaries at a single elevation.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 34
castled071049

Just launch the AREA command and select "Add area", then "Object", and start clicking on the objects. It will list each area as you select it, highlight the selected object so you don't click it twice, and give you the sum at the end.

Message 4 of 34
AllenJessup

If you have overlapping polyline areas. You can convert the PLines to Regions and make a Union. Then properties, list or massprop will give you the area. I often use regions in impervious surface and lot area calculations. You can also display the area in a table using Fields.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 34
jmayo-EE
in reply to: AllenJessup

You guys and your static solutions. It's sooo LDD. The new Hatch editing commands are great if the areas get revised with a design. Grip edits, create boundaries, set new boundaries, add/remove. 🙂

Just kidding around guys. Most of my work is with design so the areas need to be calc'd, recalc'd, etc. & so on. I don't like repeating the process for each little change to a site.

If only parcels could do a bit more...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 34
Neilw_05
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Don't the QTO tools work for that?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 34
AllenJessup

johnm wrote:

I don't like repeating the process for each little change to a site. 

Neither do I, John. The areas of Regions change as their updated. I use Grips to snap them to new points. Neither LDD nor Civil 3D will handle all the vagaries of local zoning. They don't really do much as far as impervious surface either.

If I could tell C3D to subtract 20% of the lot area where slopes exceed 25%, 50% of the area where the slopes exceed 30% and 100% of the area where the slopes exceed 40% then I'd be all set. Except of course for having to subtract 50% of the area within easements.Smiley Sad

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 34
Joe-Bouza

skiping rec, skipping rec, skipping record. DATEXTRACTION and its can be dynamic

Smiley Happy

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 9 of 34
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I know I can get a dynamic table with DE but they don't print the pretty shading I need on pavements & buildings for my plan. Multifunctional baby. Hatches list cover area, calc cover percentages & shade the plans. 🙂 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 34
Neilw_05

With QTO you can get a single total or detailed report and there are several filtering options as well. You can use it with hatching to calc overlapped areas. It might be a nice solution as well. Is there some particular reason why it doesn't work for you John?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 11 of 34
neilyj666
in reply to: Neilw_05

I've used QTO to create reports for a proposed landscape design and then had to do it all again when the plan changed - QTO worked well in this case

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 12 of 34
jmayo-EE

Hey Neil. It's not that it doesn't work. All of the solutions here work very well. The hatching has to be done for our plans. With that in mind reporting the hach area saves us the entire QTO or DE process. I am not looking for prices just area and/or percent cover in a table or text string.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 13 of 34
Joe-Bouza

You last me with the shadings? DE will extract and report the hatch areas.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 14 of 34
jmayo-EE
in reply to: neilyj666

Here's an example. A simple xref for the plans with the zoning & surface cover data in a table. When the design changes, we edit hatches to update the bulk zoning table & the plan shading.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 15 of 34
jmayo-EE

Correct. Sry. Thought u were talking plines. Hatches do work with DE. We don't need an xls table though or any other files for reporting, no updating or nonsense when the hatch changes. It is just very simple & efficient for us. The tables are blocks ready to place in a new file select a new object for each field.

We would probably use parcels for this if we could get quick simple calculations without custom reporting.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 34
jmayo-EE

We also have been doing this before QTO became part of the app.  

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 17 of 34
Joe-Bouza

Hmmmm? I do understand if you have a predefined table and all you want to do is populate a cell it is efficient to pick and go.

de HATCH.PNG

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 18 of 34
jmayo-EE

Yeah it is a kiss principle thing. We don't even have to teach data extraction or QTO to those that still have issues with surfaces, alignments, profiles and pipes.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 19 of 34
castled071049
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

They just came out with keyboards that allow a capital "D" now. They're spendy, I think, but well worth it.

Message 20 of 34
AllenJessup

Hi John.

Just got a chance to look at your drawing. You're handling it the same way I do with regions. This looks like a useful way to do it. I haven't used hatches as extensively has this yet. But it's something to keep in mind. I haven't been doing any subdivision or single lot site plans lately. So this is something for the future, hopefully.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report