Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREATE A SECOND DATUM FOR ROAD CORRIDOR

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Westhills
1077 Views, 4 Replies

CREATE A SECOND DATUM FOR ROAD CORRIDOR

Back in LDD sections were simple. I would create my typicsal secitons with several datums representing finished ground, sub base, excavated surface etc. 

In my c3d model I have creted my typical assembly for finished grade and it works great. Our site is alomost all bedrock that requries blasting and now I want to create a second "datum" for my corridors so I can calculate blating quanities for my entire site. its in the order of 250 000 cu.m. of blast so this is important. I know there are a hundred ways of doing this and there is probably a better way. However I have to work within my familiar skillset to actually get things done aswell. All I need to get out of this are cogo points for my new datum into mydrawing so I can merge them with the points I have already created for the non corridor areas. Then voila, I have my blasted surface that I then can use to calculate a volume surface.

What I need is some guidance on creating this second datum. See the attached image where i show my assembly, finished ground subassemblies and below the second datum(or sub assembliy) I need.

Many Thanks

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Westhills
in reply to: Westhills

Ok so I created another corridor for my blast surface starting ith a new assembly, then add a vertical link to get down to my reference point on my blast surface, then used two linkmulti for left and right to create the surface/datum i needed.  I now have points created for my finished ground centerline that need to be filtered out when bringing in points. I do alot of this sort of thing and would really like to hear of any better methods. I would really like one assembly with multiple datums.

Thanks

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
Message 3 of 5
Ed.McGriskin

Depending on the level of detail in your sub assemblies, it may be possible to create mutliple surfaces from one corridor.

For example, with a generic pavement structure for a roadway, you can create an Finish Grade surface using the Top Link from you assembly and a Subgrade surface using the bottom link of the granular material. This way, both surfaces are tied to the same corridor and will both update with any edits to the corridor.

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.
Message 4 of 5
mathewkol

Your section is very easy to do with a single corridor. You've actually done it already except you've split into 2 separate corridors. Just add the same subassemblies to a single corridor and you're done.

You would then create 2 different surfaces, chosing different link codes for each surface.

The trick is to change the names of the link codes for the generic links.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 5
Westhills
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks Matt

Makes sense enough.

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report