Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CORRIDOR SURFACE TARGETS WITH MAX SLOPE

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
M!chelle
1729 Views, 12 Replies

CORRIDOR SURFACE TARGETS WITH MAX SLOPE

I'm creating a ditch corridor with the generic links.  I've tried a few of them.  I'm able to target my ROW feature line set at existing grade and my shoulder feature line set at existing grade (neither are parallel to my alignment).  However I want it to apply or at least ackowledge a maximum 3:1 slope.  Isn't there something that decides to apply one or the other? Or notifies you if you are over your 3:1 slope in your offset targets?  Am I using the wrong subassemblies or not setting up my targets correctly?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
sboon
in reply to: M!chelle

There are subassemblies that can hold a maximum slope but I'm not entirely clear about what you're trying to do.  Can you post a sketch of your typical section?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 13
M!chelle
in reply to: sboon

In this view I have two corridors built.  The dashed green is my existing surface, the blue is my corridor built to target the ROW and shoulder feature lines (elevations set to existing surface) and then the red I just built at a 3:1 slope as a check.  So in this section you can see my ROW target on the left is over the max slope of 3:1 because it's pulling to that ROW target.  Is there an assembly that will flag this and say you're over your 3:1 slope here - so I don't have to build an "assembly/corridor check" and visually pass through all the cross sections myself?

Message 4 of 13
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

There are some Conditional Subassemblies available that might help with your issue.  You can set them to IF  THEN type conditions that will make finding them easier.

2014-07-21_9-22-54.jpg

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 5 of 13
M!chelle
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Would you have time to explain these more?  Whatever I am doing isn't working.  I tried a stand alone assembly and corridor built from these and I get nothing to display in my coss section sheets.  I tried adding them onto my existing generic link assembly and see no difference.  This is my first cross section project so I am learning as I go.  I thank you for your time!

Message 6 of 13
doni49

When you have a section that daylights past the ROW, what do you want to change (because SOMETHING will have to change)?

The foreslope, backslope or ditch elevation (or even a combination of them) will have to change.  I'll assume for the sake of discussion (and a simpler example) that the backslope will change and everything else will remain the same (so you will go from ditch bottom to the row at surface.

Having said that, the ConditionalHorizontal allows you to specify a maximum distance and if the ROW is found within that distance, use one subassembly (link).  If the ROW is NOT found within that distance, then use a different subassembly (link).

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 13
M!chelle
in reply to: doni49

Thank you for your time and I understand what you are saying.  This is all very helpful. 

Yet I'm not changing or daylighting past the right of way.  I am matching at existing ROW and at an existing shoulder - both feature lines and neither of which are parallel to the ditch.  So a maximum distance isn't a constant number in this case?  And I don't wish for it to change with an either/or just yet.  I want it to match the existing targets (which I can do) but I want it to say oh, hey we matched those existing targets here for you but you're over your 3:1 slope. 

As I'm learning this, I went and created an assembly with BOTH found and not found horizontal targets placed first and then my links placed respectively after.  I used a 4.0 max width to see how these rules behave but targeting an unparallel offset it's kind of a skip and jump on my cross sections with no warning where it takes place.  I'm still experimenting and can see where this would be useful, yet I'm not sure it is the function I am looking for - if it even exists. 

Message 8 of 13

You speak of a shoulder and a ROW yet your section shows no break?

if 3:1 does not reach your ROW then the ditch profile has to change, no?

Assuming the ditch profile has to remain constant then the conditional assembly needs to look vertical:  if the ROW profile elevation isnt found stop at elevation y and add a sub that reaches the ROW. Presumably the shoulder comes into play here but your section does not clarify.?

Message 9 of 13
mathewkol

I can think of no subassembly that notify you if the slope exceeds a tolerance, but you can do this.

Build the corridor.
Create a corridor surface.
Assign a surface style which shows slopes.
Set the properties to show in red, those slopes that exceed your tolerance. No fancy subassembly, but it will show you where your slopes are too steep.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 10 of 13
ceethreedee.com
in reply to: mathewkol

You could create a custom subassembly that reports a message to events window if your slope increases.

But seriously.. matthewk's solution is the most elegant..

reportcustomsubassemblies.jpg

reportcustomsubassemblies-2.jpg

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com
Message 11 of 13
M!chelle
in reply to: ceethreedee.com

HorizontalCurveGuy
Yes it will need to change, and that is why I'm asking for it to notify me that it's outside of the 3:1 so it can be presented to the engineer and altered.  In this case the ROW is not a profile at a set elevation?  It is a feature line knocked onto the existing surface elevations, more as a boundary that we don't want to work past.  Same with the shoulder shot on the other side.

mathewk 
Sounds similar to creating my 3:1 corridor visual check.  Thank you for the alternate idea.

bkanthergolder
I will have to look at creating my own custom sub assemblies when I'm a little more familiar with the existing. 🙂

I think I will try the corridor regions to alternate the sections where they are outside of the 3:1 max.  Thank you all for your time and help.  I have learned a lot from this one question!

Message 12 of 13
Joe-Bouza

A FL with EG elevation is akin to a profile (is what I was driving at.
If the object is an iterative process to find the optimal profile, then Matt's suggestion is exactly the route to take. you can run the corridor targeting as planned , and present the engineer with with the color plot and the engineer can give you the profile adjustments

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
ceethreedee.com

Well i can tell you now managing your daylight slope with corridor sections/chaing the subassembly is not the solution..

see my post here on modifying the daylight slope to achieve smooth transitions. This at least gives you manual control over the daylight slope using a profile.

http://ceethreedee.com/modelling/daylight-transitions-in-civil-3d-alternative-methods-2

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report