Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COGO Pts along CL

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
177 Views, 11 Replies

COGO Pts along CL

How can I insert COGO points along the CL of an alignment? I've designed my vertical in the profile view. Now I would like to see spots every 25' in plan view. I see all codes except CL or crown. ETW, sidewalk, daylight, etc...
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
nzeeben
in reply to: Anonymous

Depending on which sub assemblies you used you may be looking for ETW instead of crown or CL. The median flush subassembly places a crown coded point, the lane assemblies for the most part place a ETW coded point. If you right click on the subassembly tool and look at help it will have a diagram showing how the coding is taking place.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

that's not good. Guess I'll have to convert back to LDT. Grrrrrrrrr.... "nzeeben" wrote in message news:30852785.1103838280684.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Depending on which sub assemblies you used you may be looking for ETW > instead of crown or CL. The median flush subassembly places a crown coded > point, the lane assemblies for the most part place a ETW coded point.
Message 4 of 12
apweng

There are some options under the Create Points command to do thi. You can place points on alignment points of curvature and also by measuring/dividing an alignment. If your alignment starts at a whole station location, then you should be able to locate points at other whole station locations using the measure option.

Define EP alignments etc. if you want to set points on those using the same method.

If you create a corridor, then you can export corridor points (cross section) to Cogo points.

Andrew
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Andrew, are you associated with AutoDesk? You are hiding behind your email address. Bill "apweng" wrote in message news:6749152.1104422462858.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > There are some options under the Create Points command to do thi. You can place points on alignment points of curvature and also by measuring/dividing an alignment. If your alignment starts at a whole station location, then you should be able to locate points at other whole station locations using the measure option. WILL these points have elevations? I think this is the goal! > > Define EP alignments etc. if you want to set points on those using the same method. Will the stations along the EP be perpendicular to the same stations along the centerline? > If you create a corridor, then you can export corridor points (cross section) to Cogo points. > > Andrew
Message 6 of 12
apweng

You could say that I am associated with Autodesk in that I work with their products.

Points at cross section locations, with elevations, can be exported from a corridor model. And yes, the corridor model is built by assigning a typical section (assembly) such that they are perpendicular to the direction of the alignment. Therefore offset locations of EP points etc. reference CL stationing.

Andrew
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Andrew: Please re-read my question. I didn't ask about corridor or cross section elevations. My questions follow your remarks. Have a nice & happy New Year. Bill "apweng" wrote in message news:26181072.1104431634843.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > You could say that I am associated with Autodesk in that I work with their products. > > Points at cross section locations, with elevations, can be exported from a corridor model. And yes, the corridor model is built by assigning a typical section (assembly) such that they are perpendicular to the direction of the alignment. Therefore offset locations of EP points etc. reference CL stationing. > > Andrew
Message 8 of 12
apweng

Thanks Bill - yourself a safe and happy new years as well.

Are you wanting to set points on existing features at perpendicular cross section locations?
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Not now, I'm just trying to gather all the info this 6 decade body can handle. Bill "apweng" wrote in message news:23008207.1104437531713.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Thanks Bill - yourself a safe and happy new years as well. > > Are you wanting to set points on existing features at perpendicular cross section locations?
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

""...If you create a corridor, then you can export corridor points (cross section) to Cogo points."" Yes, but you cannot export CL points like you can in LDT. The measure along alignment command does not allow you to pull elevation from a DTM or Corridor surface either. So guess I'm still stuck. "apweng" wrote in message news:6749152.1104422462858.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > There are some options under the Create Points command to do thi. You can > place points on alignment points of curvature and also by > measuring/dividing an alignment. If your alignment starts at a whole > station location, then you should be able to locate points at other whole > station locations using the measure option. > > Define EP alignments etc. if you want to set points on those using the > same method. > > If you create a corridor, then you can export corridor points (cross > section) to Cogo points. > > Andrew
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Dave, I thought some or other approach by one of our users would suffice your requirement; There are many subassemblies which contains CROWN as point code and you can extract COGO points at every station at which assembly is applied and this CROWN point is available. If there is no subassembly that suffices your design requirement and output requirement together you need to modify some subassemblies so that you get what you need. I would like to suggest another approach which i am sure would give you necessary results for you. Referring your original post, suppose you want to extract COGO points and label them along the centerline (or baseline) of a corridor at every 25'. Assuming that your current assembly is not good for this do following: 1. In your tool palettes - go to "Imperial - Generic" tool palette; and select "marked Point" (available in generic tool palettes that were shipped out of box with Civil 3D) subassembly 2. As you select this "marked point" subassembly to attach AutoCAD OPM (properties) dialog appears and one of the input fields in it is Point Codes. Enter CL (or whatever you like) against it. 3. Add this "Marked Point" subassembly and attach it to the "baseline marker" of Assembly (to do this pick the vertical line representing baseline at the center of assembly, or the one you see as you start building the assembly). 4. Now run this assembly along a baseline to build corridor with frequency of 25' (or whatever you choose). 5. At this point use Corridors -> Export -> Corridor Points as COGO Points and select CL (or the point code you entered) as code to extract. You can use these marked points any number of times to mark any place in the assembly and label as whatever you want (although these MarkedPoints have even bigger role in the assembly building!) Finally, I would say subassemblies have to be used as it is to extract all Key Features such as CL and CROWN points without any special treatments and we will look into that issue why they are not working (and in what cases) to improve out of the box content. Thanks and I hope these steps help you. -- Chakri Gavini Product Designer Autodesk, Inc. "Dave D" wrote in message news:41d9bf8f_1@newsprd01... > ""...If you create a corridor, then you can export corridor points (cross > section) to Cogo points."" > > Yes, but you cannot export CL points like you can in LDT. The measure along > alignment command does not allow you to pull elevation from a DTM or > Corridor surface either. So guess I'm still stuck. > > > > > "apweng" wrote in message > news:6749152.1104422462858.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > There are some options under the Create Points command to do thi. You can > > place points on alignment points of curvature and also by > > measuring/dividing an alignment. If your alignment starts at a whole > > station location, then you should be able to locate points at other whole > > station locations using the measure option. > > > > Define EP alignments etc. if you want to set points on those using the > > same method. > > > > If you create a corridor, then you can export corridor points (cross > > section) to Cogo points. > > > > Andrew > >
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Chakri. I've tried the second approach that you outlined and all sounds logical, but I cannot seem to get the "CL" marked point to appear within my Corridor codes. I've tried many different ways without success including your step-by-step instructions. This should not matter, but I am using the Metric - Generic tool palette to select the "Mark Point" since my project is metric. I am using LandOutsideSuper subassembly to define a two-lane travel way. This subassembly does not include a Crown point code. I guess I could use BasicLane, which has a Crown code included, but then I would have to define a separate profile for each Edge of Travel Way where the pavement goes to a superelevation condition. Could there be a step that I'm missing to have corridor see the marked point subassembly definition? Thanks, Dave Dixon Clark Nexsen, Architecture & Engineering Norfolk, VA USA "Chakri Gavini" wrote in message news:41da0aa1$1_1@newsprd01... > Dave, > > I thought some or other approach by one of our users would suffice your > requirement; There are many subassemblies which contains CROWN as point > code > and you can extract COGO points at every station at which assembly is > applied and this CROWN point is available. If there is no subassembly that > suffices your design requirement and output requirement together you need > to > modify some subassemblies so that you get what you need. > > I would like to suggest another approach which i am sure would give you > necessary results for you. Referring your original post, suppose you want > to > extract COGO points and label them along the centerline (or baseline) of a > corridor at every 25'. Assuming that your current assembly is not good for > this do following: > > 1. In your tool palettes - go to "Imperial - Generic" tool palette; and > select "marked Point" (available in generic tool palettes that were > shipped > out of box with Civil 3D) subassembly > > 2. As you select this "marked point" subassembly to attach AutoCAD OPM > (properties) dialog appears and one of the input fields in it is Point > Codes. Enter CL (or whatever you like) against it. > > 3. Add this "Marked Point" subassembly and attach it to the "baseline > marker" of Assembly (to do this pick the vertical line representing > baseline > at the center of assembly, or the one you see as you start building the > assembly). > > 4. Now run this assembly along a baseline to build corridor with frequency > of 25' (or whatever you choose). > > 5. At this point use Corridors -> Export -> Corridor Points as COGO Points > and select CL (or the point code you entered) as code to extract. > > You can use these marked points any number of times to mark any place in > the > assembly and label as whatever you want (although these MarkedPoints have > even bigger role in the assembly building!) > > Finally, I would say subassemblies have to be used as it is to extract all > Key Features such as CL and CROWN points without any special treatments > and > we will look into that issue why they are not working (and in what cases) > to > improve out of the box content. > > Thanks and I hope these steps help you. > > > -- > Chakri Gavini > Product Designer > Autodesk, Inc. > > > > "Dave D" wrote in message > news:41d9bf8f_1@newsprd01... >> ""...If you create a corridor, then you can export corridor points (cross >> section) to Cogo points."" >> >> Yes, but you cannot export CL points like you can in LDT. The measure > along >> alignment command does not allow you to pull elevation from a DTM or >> Corridor surface either. So guess I'm still stuck. >> >> >> >> >> "apweng" wrote in message >> news:6749152.1104422462858.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> > There are some options under the Create Points command to do thi. You > can >> > place points on alignment points of curvature and also by >> > measuring/dividing an alignment. If your alignment starts at a whole >> > station location, then you should be able to locate points at other > whole >> > station locations using the measure option. >> > >> > Define EP alignments etc. if you want to set points on those using the >> > same method. >> > >> > If you create a corridor, then you can export corridor points (cross >> > section) to Cogo points. >> > >> > Andrew >> >> > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report