Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD to GIS in a Production Environment

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
rob.cheyne
537 Views, 4 Replies

CAD to GIS in a Production Environment

This is a discussion request for Managers and/or IT professionals who are CLIENTS of Autodesk products to respond to my inquery.

We are a mid sized business who uses AutoCad Map3d 2012, AutoCad Civil 3d 2012, And ESRI ArcSDE 10 within our organization. Like many companies on this forum, we have been attempting over the past 4 years to integrate the 2 softwares in a production environment where the PRIMARY store is in SDE. We desire to have our Autodesk products connect using the FDO SDE connection to, display, edit, and write back spatial data to the SDE in a VERSIONED production environment.

We are requesting that any companies who have successfully implemented work flow processes to allow this type of integration to please let yourselves be known to us. We'd like to have a brief 15 minute phone conversation if possible, but more importantly we would just like confirmation from someone that this process actually works and is obtainable. The future of our organization continuing to use Autodesk products may depend on this information.

Obviously this process works in very small "test" datasets and we have had some sucessful connctions and write backs recently with the 2012 improvements. However, overall stability of the program appears compromised when navigating model/paper space and while performing other autocad functions while being connected to spatial data.

We are aware of many work around solutions however we are not interested in 3rd party interchange software at this time. We are looking to directly connect the Autodesk software with our SDE and not rely on SDF or FME or any other related developments that facilitate a 'work around' solution. Our workstation specs are also not an issue as we have the latest in HP workstations that are Autodesk Certified work environments with plenty of resoureces. We are only seeking comments from companies who are currently making this solution work within their company.

Your time in responding to this request is appreciated. This message posting was suggested by an Autodesk representative as they were unable to provide a reference for any existing clients who use both software packages in conjuction with each other as Autodesk is not privy to information from customers who also purchase ESRI products.

RobC

1+250-321-5263

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Murph_Map
in reply to: rob.cheyne

@rob.cheyne wrote:

This is a discussion request for Managers and/or IT professionals who are CLIENTS of Autodesk products to respond to my inquiry.

What, you don't want comments from other consultants that may of done it successfully?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 5
rob.cheyne

Thanks Murph for the reply,  I'm seeking a referral from a company who has this implemented within their organization and actively using it on a daily basis.

If a consultant setup a system in the past and wants to put me in touch with the company that's using their setup, it would be appreciated and might help to secure some future work for the consultant. But I'm not interested in speaking directly with consultants, developers, or sales people at this time.

Thanks,

Rob C.

Message 4 of 5
Murph_Map

@rob.cheyne wrote:

Thanks Murph for the reply,  I'm seeking a referral from a company who has this implemented within their organization and actively using it on a daily basis.

If a consultant setup a system in the past and wants to put me in touch with the company that's using their setup, it would be appreciated and might help to secure some future work for the consultant. But I'm not interested in speaking directly with consultants, developers, or sales people at this time.

Thanks,

Rob C.

Due to the security of the data the "company" that I know of will not talk to outsiders. Sorry.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 5
rob.cheyne
in reply to: Murph_Map

That's fine Murph, I'll wait to see if there is a second company in the world that might have it working. I just got an email from my Autodesk reseller that there might a be guy in France who has it working... I'll report my findings here for any of the viewers who are interested.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report