Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD manager tools install problem

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
homer028
1208 Views, 5 Replies

CAD manager tools install problem

I installed the cad manager tools from the civil3d 2012 install image on my computer. It seems to have installed correctly, as it opens like it should, yet when look at the pulldown asking which version to modify, I only get civl3d 2011. I have both versions installed on my machine but have started using 2012 for all projects.

Before you say, well just go back to using 2011, civil3d isnt backwards compatible with civ3d objects!

I am specifically trying to add search locations on my infocenter help menu. 2011 had a pulldown to ask where to search for help. It even gave you several community answers all in one handy menu. Now the help simply goes to the browser version of the help files (or the online help if you have that checked in the options tab)

Is this the new 2012 way of helping the user?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: homer028

Unless CIVIL is unique and different from all other verticals, versions 2012-2011-2010 are fully compatible, the break starts when you step back to Versions 2009 and lower. REVIT and INVENTOR are the only per-upgrade not compatible I believe: your Civil a bundled offering? That may be where you got your info from.

In Plain AutoCAD for us, CAD Manager Tools installed for an earlier version continue to only reference the older version. It seems you must remove it and install the newer version afterwards.

Message 3 of 6
Murph_Map
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:

Unless CIVIL is unique and different from all other verticals, versions 2012-2011-2010 are fully compatible, .

Dean,

Civil 3D 2011 can open a dwg created in 2012 however some of the civil3d objects from 2012 are NOT compatible. Therefore Civil 3D is not considered backward compatible. Also some Civil 3D objects created in lower versions are upgraded when open in 2012 making them non-compatible when reopened in lower versions. The rule of thumb with C3D is if you start a project in one version finish it in that version no switching back and forth.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks for the clarification for Civil: so it's not the same as ACA (Architecture).

Message 5 of 6
jggerth1
in reply to: pendean

Dean,  just as an fyi -- no version of Civil3d has ever been compatible with any earlier viersion.  while the dwg format is ostensibly the same, the objects have continually been updated with each release.  If a vanilla acad user has a c3d object enabler installed, and opens a c3d drawing from an earlier annual release, say 2010 and 2009, the c3d objects will be updated to the latter version, and ususable by the originating version, despite the file format being the same.

I don't deal with Autodesk Architecture at all -- are you saying the AA objects are backwards compatible between annual releases?

Message 6 of 6
muraadamin
in reply to: jggerth1

HI. I AM FROM MOZAMBIQUE AND HERE WE USE USE THE SOUTH AFRICAN'S TAMPLATES......SO, I WISH SOMEBODY SEND ME THE SOUTH AFRICAN TEMPLATE (METRIC)...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report