Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D2013 and Temp folders

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Jeff_M
2996 Views, 29 Replies

C3D2013 and Temp folders

I'm finding that everytime C3D2013 is started, it creates a temp folder with a name starting with "ogs", followed by 6-8 digits. Many of these folders are empty, others have sub-folders with names beginning with the same series of digits as the parent folder, followed by "_TextureCache". All of this is well and good, as I know C3D creates many temp files and folders. What is troublig is that everyone of these temp folders is left behind whne C3D is closed, filling up my Temp folder with hundreds/thousands of these now useless folders.

C3D2012 also creates temp folders for textures, named with random digits followed by "_Textures". However, these are most always deleted upon exiting C3D normally....they do remain behind when C3D crashes.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
neilyj666
in reply to: Jeff_M

I do a manual empty of my temp folder at least twice a day, not ideal but takes seconds

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 22 of 30
rkmcswain
in reply to: Jeff_M

FWIW - I see dozens if not hundreds of these directories in %temp% all the time on various machines.

Here is a sample (about 1/6 of what is on this machine)

ogssample.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 23 of 30
troma
in reply to: rkmcswain

Would you delete those?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 24 of 30
jenniferb
in reply to: troma

That's how I understand it.  Autodesk got back to me on this issue and said 'that these files are part of how Civil 3D functions, and has since the 2012 release. They are intended to be temporary files/folders, but are not being dumped when you close".  Every time you open AutoCAD it creates 11 or so files that are intended to be temporary but are not being deleted; therefore if you are working on a machine with the minimum specifications recommended by autodesk, like me, and have to restart your machine multiple times a day your temp folder will fill up quickly unless the temp folder is cleaned out regularly.  I was told this issue has "been escalated to the Development Team. When we escalate an issue to our development team, they have to perform their own research as to what might be causing the issue as well as how to fix it. Their schedule is regulated by service pack and new release time frames, and the priority for fixing issues is determined by how the fix impacts other functionality, and the business case for fixing the issue."  which means that until enough people complain about this they wont resolve it.

Message 25 of 30
rkmcswain
in reply to: troma

We have a domain login script that deletes everything in %temp% older than X days old.

So yes, they get deleted regularly but as jenniferb pointed out, they can still accumlate pretty fast.

I've manually deleted them all in the past also, with no ill effects.

Message 26 of 30
neilyj666
in reply to: jenniferb

Refer to message 19 in this thread......

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 27 of 30
rkmcswain
in reply to: jenniferb

@JenniferB wrote:

....which means that until enough people complain about this they wont resolve it.

Yep.

Quite frankly, I can think of a few more issues I'm more concerned about in C3D than this 🙂

Message 28 of 30
neilyj666
in reply to: rkmcswain

Hasn't that Surface analysis rebuild problem now been addressed in 2014?

EESignature

Message 29 of 30
rkmcswain
in reply to: neilyj666

@neilyj666 wrote:
Hasn't that Surface analysis rebuild problem now been addressed in 2014?

The Readme for SP1 says YES.

I have not tested it, anyone else want to verify?

Message 30 of 30
rkmcswain
in reply to: SethHall

SethHall wrote:

I did some tests with 2013 and having my TEMP folder open and watched the activity while I was opening drawings. I ensured my TEMP folder was clean, and some files are created. However after closing down Civil 3D, all the files and folders are removed from TEMP and I am left in the same state as it was prior to launching Civil 3D.

Yeah, but were any of the temp folders created named OGS* ? I suspect not. I just cleaned a machine this morning with 700+ of these folders. That was barely a blip on the radar of the 12,000+ .tmp files in %temp%. (I have no idea what all apps made these)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report