Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D2013 and Temp folders

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Jeff_M
2984 Views, 29 Replies

C3D2013 and Temp folders

I'm finding that everytime C3D2013 is started, it creates a temp folder with a name starting with "ogs", followed by 6-8 digits. Many of these folders are empty, others have sub-folders with names beginning with the same series of digits as the parent folder, followed by "_TextureCache". All of this is well and good, as I know C3D creates many temp files and folders. What is troublig is that everyone of these temp folders is left behind whne C3D is closed, filling up my Temp folder with hundreds/thousands of these now useless folders.

C3D2012 also creates temp folders for textures, named with random digits followed by "_Textures". However, these are most always deleted upon exiting C3D normally....they do remain behind when C3D crashes.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

I just checked and I also have those folders in my temp folder.

I agree, civil 3d was bad enough, in previous versions, with all the files it left, now we have this with 2013.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 3 of 30
SethHall

Hi Jeff-

I did some tests with 2013 and having my TEMP folder open and watched the activity while I was opening drawings. I ensured my TEMP folder was clean, and some files are created. However after closing down Civil 3D, all the files and folders are removed from TEMP and I am left in the same state as it was prior to launching Civil 3D.

Does this happen on just one machine?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 4 of 30
neilyj666
in reply to: SethHall

I tried this too (see screenshots) - and got an ogs folder left behind (empty admittedly).

I usually also get a lot of files beginning with %%% but not sure if this a C3D 2013 issue or not (they weren't there prior to 2013 being used)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 30
wfberry

When I start 2013 I have 5 files in my temp folder that I cannot delete.  Opening 2013 with a blank file from the dwt I have about 9 files plus the blank ogs... file.  When I open up a drawing that I downloaded earlier I get about 45 temps added plus an empty cache directory within the ogs.  Closing 2013 I am left with 9 files plus an empty (no cache directory) ogs... left.

I am sticking to this.

Smiley LOL

Bill

Message 6 of 30
Jeff_M

Thanks Seth, and others, for looking. I get this ogs* folder left behind with every session of C3d2013 x64. Interestingly, when I start my XP VM and fire up C3D2013 x86, no ogs* folders are created. In both scenarios there is also a vsimage.bmp file created and left behind on exit.

This is a screenshot taken in Win7x64 after starting and immediately exiting C3D.

After C3D2013.png

EESignature
Message 7 of 30
SethHall

Interesting... I see the vsimage.bmp, but I have yet to see any ogs* folder. Testing on Win 7 x64.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 8 of 30
sboon

Here`s what I get.  The only thing in the Temp folder prior to opening Civil 3d 2013 was the FXSAPID file, being used by another process.  I am at home so my software cannot find a network license and shuts down before I am able to do anything at all - but I`m still left with this.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 30
andrewpuller3811

Seth,

I have check the machines here and the 2 machines with Autodesk Infrastructure Modeler 2013 R1 and R2 installed alonside Civil 3d 2013 SP1 both leave the OGS folders, whereas 6 machines I checked that do not have AIM do not have any OGS folder left in the temp directory.

I have lodged a support request, Case number 07887101, with this info.

Perhaps someone else getting this problem can confirm they have AIM installed alongside Civil 3d?

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 10 of 30
Jeff_M
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Andrew, I do not have AIM installed on an accessible computer right now. I can report that my standalone C3D2013 with SP1 no longer creates these files...at least not that I have found. 

Thanks for bringing this back to my attention. I had forgotten about this issue so had not checked to see if it was still around.

EESignature
Message 11 of 30
klugb

I do not have AIM, but have 20 "ogs" folders in the last 6 days? Just starting on 2013 SP1 now.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 12 of 30
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: klugb

Yes according to autodesk support, they don't get the OGS folders on their computer with AIM installed, so it does not seem to be a culprit.

Jeff - Interesting you 2013 no onger does it. my 2013 with SP1 does. Do you recall any changes other than SP1?

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 13 of 30
neilyj666

I still get the .ogs folders on exit from C3D - I typically empty the temp folder manually everyday

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 30
SethHall

Hi Andrew-

I checked on your case and Wendy seems to be helping you out. I also verified that I am getting the same results as I noted earlier in the thread after the installation of Update 1. Please let us know if you find out any more details, and I will be happy to assist Wendy if need be.

Thanks!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 15 of 30
andrewpuller3811

I ran Process Monitor from system internals while starting autocad and tracked the OGS Folder creation to an operation on start up from a dll called "OGSAtilIntegration-3_0.dll"

I have forwarded this onto Autodesk support, plus they had a machine that was able to reproduce the issue, and they are sending to the development team to verify, and decide if they are going to fix it.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 16 of 30
jenniferb

I AM HAVING THIS ISSUE ALSO.  I HAVE TRIED TO LOOK UP THE CASE NUMBER TO GET THE RESOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM BUT I CANNOT FIND IT AND IT SEAMS THREAD JUST STOPED WITHOUT PROVIDING A SOLUTION.  CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE DEAL IS WITH THIS SO I CAN RESOLVE THE PROBLEM.

THANKS AND HAVE GREAT DAY

JENNIFER BROWN

Message 17 of 30
neilyj666

still occurs in IDSP 2014.....

EESignature

Message 18 of 30

Jennifer,

As I stated above, the matter was being sent off to the development team.

The case is marked as closed on the support site, with a sub-status as Change request.

I gather from the lack of progress, this issue is still in the todo list of the development team.

I will see if I can check if they have any progress on this issue.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 19 of 30

Reading between the Autodesk weasel words: "It's not causing a problem and it's not affecting Cloud based products so it's on the bottom of the pile and may get looked at one day...but not any time soon.."

EESignature

Message 20 of 30
jenniferb
in reply to: neilyj666

However it is causing problems because it is filling up my temp folder and causing memory issues.

Jennifer Brown

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report