AutoCAD Civil 3D General

*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 21 of 44 (650 Views)

Re: C3D2012 is giving me the Silent Treatment...

04-24-2012 07:31 PM in reply to: neilyj

Did you mean to reply to me, or were you asking about Humanshu's recommendation...?

If the former, then this problem seems to be innocuous, just a tad annoying.  You can just hit "OK" and ignore it.

If you want to do a reinstall, that that depends on how you have C3D setup.  Of course, if you do a "full wipe and reinstall", then you WILL destroy your setup.  If you plan on doing this, then you may want to save your current user profile (in OPTIONS -> Profiles tab) to a .ARG file, then reload it after the re-install (with the caveat that, if your problem was in your user profile, you may re-load the original problem when you reload the .ARG file, and you're back to square one).

You will also destroy your setup, even when installing a Service Pack, if you are using the "<<Unnamed Profile>>", the "<<C3D_Imperial>>" profile, or the "<<C3D_Metric>>" profile.

So what I recommend is that, when you first install C3D, create a new profile, as seen in this image:

userprofile.png

Essentially, I had my "favorite" profile set current (either Imperial or Metric), then I selected "Add To List" and created my C3D2013 profile.  NOW I configure the profile the way I want.  (And I can also always save this to a .ARG file when I'm done, just in case, so I don't have to repeat work if I get into trouble later.)  This new C3D2013 profile will NOT get "clobbered" when I install a service pack, and I don't have to save out and reimport my settings (or go through the arduous task of re-setting everything, if I forget about this issue).

The only final thing to remember is to edit my C3D startup shortcuts, so they now call my "C3D2013" profile, as shown in this image:

C3D_shortcut_properties.png

I'm now "clobber-free", and can install service packs or do repairs without losing my settings.

Sinc
*Expert Elite*
neilyj
Message 22 of 44 (643 Views)

04-25-2012 12:24 AM in reply to: Sinc

Sinc wrote:

Did you mean to reply to me, or were you asking about Humanshu's recommendation...?

I was but as you've replied.....what info does the profile store?

neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 240Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610
*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 23 of 44 (627 Views)

04-25-2012 10:09 AM in reply to: neilyj

The User Profile mostly just stores the options you set in the OPTIONS tab.

But there's a bit more to it...  BE CAREFUL, but open up REGEDIT and look around in a key like:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.0\ACAD-B000:409\Profiles

(Replace the release number with the current version of your software...  R19.0 is C3D 2013, R18.2 is C3D 2012, etc.)

Compare the C3D profiles with the default "AutoCAD" profile.  A key thing about a valid C3D user profile is that it includes "IsPureAcadProfile" set to 0, while the "AutoCAD" profile is set to 1.  There are also FAR more subkeys in that profile for a C3D profile.

If you don't start with a default user profile like "<<C3D_Imperial>>" or "<<C3D_Metric>>", then you'll be missing most of these keys.  That's why such profiles don't work correctly.  So ALWAYS make sure you start with a default C3D profile, and make a copy of it, THEN customize your copy.  (Autodesk really should fix this problem, so that any profile created by C3D is created correctly.  As it is, if you don't start by copying a default C3D profile, you'll get something that looks like the core AutoCAD profile, and many C3D functions won't work.)

Again, be VERY careful when poking around in REGEDIT...  You can break things easily if you do the wrong thing.  But as long as you just look around without changing anything, you should be fine.

Sinc
deanwhitford
Message 24 of 44 (598 Views)

05-01-2012 02:54 PM in reply to: Sinc

I was experiencing the empty dialog on AutoCAD exit, but with base AutoCAD 2012 instead of a vertical.  I am using AutoCAD 2012 x64 on Windows 7.

As per the others having the issue, it was happening with an application loaded, in my case DraftLogic Electrical.  I have been running the application on 2012 for many months and the two empty dialogs only started a month or so ago.  Rolling the DraftLogic Electrical version back months didn't change the behavior.  As per the other users, AutoCAD & the application worked OK, just these odd couple dialogs showing up upon exit.

Oddly enough, if I just loaded ACAD with the DraftLogic Electrical profile set current with the default blank template drawing and immediately exited, the empty dialogs did not show up.  If, on the other hand, I do that but then load any drawing with an electrical design in it & then exit without doing anything, the two empty dialogs showed up.  No empty dialogs with an 'empty' profile current, regardless of drawing loaded and then exited.  So it appeared that it was related to having an application loaded into ACAD, and perhaps having to trigger something by loading a design. 

A repair install of 2012 didn't seem to change things.  I can't recall offhand if I tried both a repair and then a complete reinstall or not...I think I did but not sure.

Since I exhausted what I thought were the obvious causes (i.e. 2012 repair and rolling back DraftLogic Electrical versions), I reconsidered the timing of when the empty dialogs started to show up...made me think my test of AutoCAD 2013 might have had something to do with it.

So I did manage to get rid of the 'empty dialogs on exit issue', here is what I did:

1.  removed AutoCAD 2013

2.  performed reinstall of AutoCAD 2012 from ACAD installer (it launched from add/remove programs)

Now ACAD 2012 and DraftLogic Electrical are happy again, no empty dialogs showing up upon exit from ACAD!

Hopefully this information helps solve the puzzle rather than making it worse  :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
neilyj
Message 25 of 44 (588 Views)

05-02-2012 12:10 AM in reply to: deanwhitford

deanwhitford wrote:

Hopefully this information helps solve the puzzle rather than making it worse  :smileyhappy:

I think it has - I've had the blank dialogs long before I installed 2013

neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 240Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610
Distinguished Contributor
syria89
Message 26 of 44 (481 Views)

07-11-2012 08:07 AM in reply to: Sinc

does this message box only popup on window7

or do we have xp users that have this message?

jmaeding
Message 27 of 44 (475 Views)

07-11-2012 08:33 AM in reply to: Sinc

I also get the dialogs on exit, but sometimes its just a ding sound.

I have 2013 C3d installed also.

syria89
Message 28 of 44 (464 Views)

07-11-2012 10:31 AM in reply to: jmaeding

i checked the windows event ID

i had 2 id

and 9010

is there a good IT guy around to figure out what is it

jmaeding
Message 29 of 44 (459 Views)

07-11-2012 10:53 AM in reply to: syria89

http://eventid.net will list the meaning, but the meanings seem generic.

syria89
Message 30 of 44 (454 Views)

07-11-2012 11:35 AM in reply to: syria89

i have a feeling may be is with Internet explorer and security

cause i know windows 7 have alot of security issue

i dont know

is not only civil 3d

i have a user that after i installed revit 2013, the msg box will appear when i open revit

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs