Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D to HecRAS export issues

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
tdinkins
7450 Views, 8 Replies

C3D to HecRAS export issues

I am trying to use the "Export to HEC RAS" output tool in C3D 2011 and have come across a strange problem. I know that CAD and HECRAS view alignments in opposite directions (CAD - stationing from upstream to downstream, HECRAS - stationing from downstream to upstream), and understand the process of utlizing "GIS Tools" within RAS to reverse the flow direction. However, I am having a issue with georeferencing the alignment and cross sections during the "Import Geometry Data"_"GIS Format."

Once I click the "Finished-Import Data" within the Import Geometry Data dialogue, my stream alignment does not extend all the way to my most downstream cross section, and I'm getting an error message saying...

"Some of the cross sections on the schematic are drawn outside the reach bounds. This indicates that the river/reach network has not been georeferenced and/or all of the cross sections have not been georeferenced."

(see screen shot attachment below)

The two cross sections that are outside the reach bounds show up in the profile view and cross section editor view.

If I ignore the error message and click "Remove GeoReferencing" I lose the ability to "flip Coord Order" of the reach lines and cut lines. This is problematic becuase I can't get my reach stationing or cut line orientation fixed.

If anyone has come across this problem and knows a fix/work around, your input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

TC

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Wilbers2013
in reply to: tdinkins

Will it be possible to post a drawing?

Willie Wilbers
AutoCAD & Civil 3D 2014
ArcGIS 10.1
Message 3 of 9
Wilbers2013
in reply to: Wilbers2013

Check if your alignment and/of some of the cross-sections goes over the edge of the surface.  We have had problems with that.

Willie Wilbers
AutoCAD & Civil 3D 2014
ArcGIS 10.1
Message 4 of 9
jmayo-EE

I find Robert Stelmans River Tools better suited for c3d to hec ras and back.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
jmayo-EE

If ur interested
http://www.rsteltman.com/

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
tdinkins

I was able to solve the problem.

Apparently something was funky with my alignment. I solved it by creating a copy of the alignment by a simple 1ft offset away from and the a 1ft offset back. I used this polyline to create a new alignment/sections and bingo!

Who knows what was screwed up with the initial alignment...

TC

Message 7 of 9
EliteCataphract1

That worked for me too!  how strange

Message 8 of 9
ChrisRS

I'm glad you found a work around. Sometimes inexplicable things happen in Civil 3D and it is best to figure out a way to just move forward. Doing things over is sometimes just a part of the C3D experience. 

Thanks for coming back and posting your work around and marking it as a solution,

That is very useful for others in the user community

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
evaneviecroft

I had the same issue and it was caused by my channel centerline alignment and section lines not being referenced to the correct surface. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report