Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D's performance on 64bit machine. Windows XP or 7 OS dillema

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
el.Topo
514 Views, 6 Replies

C3D's performance on 64bit machine. Windows XP or 7 OS dillema

Has anyone compared C3d 2013 's performance under wXP and w7 (64bit both)?

I recently met someone working in an Autodesk Training Center

who claimed that Autodesk's s/w (not specifically C3D)

performed better when running under wXP as it's "lighter" than w7.

Even if that's true, are there any disadvantages?

thank you in advance

MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7 CPU M 620@2.67GHz, 8GB RAM
W7Pro SP1, 64-bit / Civil3D 2016
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: el.Topo

Hi,

I can't agree to WinXP is really faster than Win7. The only situation that might be possible is that you compare WinXP-32bit with Win7-64bit and both are working with low memory. 3GB for WinXP-32bit is a good situation for small (very small) Civil3D-projects, having 3GB for Win7-64bit will make a lot of troubles.

And yes, if you have not installed the same services in WinXP compared to Win7 it might be a little bit faster.

If you think about WinXP-64bit: make sure first that you have all drivers for that OS working (and take also care of these are stable). Most stable drivers you get is for WinXp-32bit or Win7-64bit (imho). XP-64bit is not really often used, so the number of (working) drivers are limited.

For me: Win7-x64 with >= 8GB memory (depending on the size of projects) is the more stable solution for Civil3D and I would suggest that.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7
el.Topo
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

thank you sir,

I am aware of the drivers problem, too.

Message 4 of 7
sboon

I can't speak to the basic AutoCAD product but there are multiple posts on this D/G and various blogs comparing the performance for various operating systems.  Generally Win 7 is the best, Vista is second, and XP is considered the worst choice.  In all cases the 64 bit version of any O/S is better than the 32 bit version.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15444804&linkID=9240697

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 7
michael.robertson
in reply to: sboon

We've run into problems with some newer software (not just Autodesk) where it would install on Win7 64bit without a problem but would not install on XP 64bit. XP 64bit was just not very popular so alot of software was never tested on that platform where 64bit really took hold with Win 7 release.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 6 of 7
el.Topo
in reply to: michael.robertson

thank you all for your responses,

it was just something that I had to cross-check

as I am happy with my system so far.

Message 7 of 7
peterfunkautodesk

I'm not sure there is going to be a huge speed difference between XP and Windows 7 because they both would be using the same processor. The difference is the amount of memory that can be used. Civil 3D likes/needs memory to hold the 3D model.

Windows 7x64 is the only OS you should consider for a new machine right now (11/6/2012).

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report