Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2015 and Geolocation - Specifically Bing Maps

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
1170 Views, 17 Replies

C3D 2015 and Geolocation - Specifically Bing Maps

Is there a way to redirect where the Geolocation tool gets the map imagery?  The images we have for our entire county are updated annually and are much better resolution (9" in rural, 4" in urban).  I'd like to keep the Road feature, obviously our images aren't labeled.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
rl_jackson
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Lisa,

Does you county also provide the additional data for there layers and databases that would include the names of the streets, then you could use an FDO Connection in conjunction with your image for the street names.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 18
tcorey

I don't think you can do this, but I'm gonna be watching this thread just in case...

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 18
Murph_Map

Try just using the roads data in the bing maps and FDO your images in as a raster. You make have to play around with the display layers and styles to get the display right. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 18
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks, I’m working with our GIS dept and we’re trying create a WMS connection. Having trouble getting it to work in 2015, it does work in 2012.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 6 of 18
rl_jackson

WMS can be annoying at times, I find that setting the connection to Version 1 regardless of the actual version will usually make things work, using C3D13. Not sure if this will help with 15 or if its broken.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 18

The saga continues... Working with my GIS dept, we figured cached images using a WMS connection was the way to go, but that's broken in Civil 3D.  Map3D SP2 supposedly addresses this issue, it was released July 15th, but my app manager didn't notify me, and it doesn't show up on the app mgr list as an available update.  So I got the link, downloaded the 64bit file (which is what I have), and I get an error msg that tells me the exe file isn't a valid 32bit application.  These were all part of an Adesk Case, so we're working on it.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 8 of 18

Follow-up #2 - Adesk support couldn't figure out why I couldn't install Map3D SP2, so they suggested that I install Map3D SP!, since the fix for the WMS connection was actually in that SP.  I can't Install that either, I get the error message: "The servie pack could not be installed because the expected Autodesk product could not be located on your computer. Make sure that youre using the correct service pack for the product"

I'm pretty sure that the solution is going to be to create a separate install of Map3D, I hope not. Waiting on C3D SP, maybe soon?  If anyone has another suggestion, I'm game. I'd really like to proceed with this deployment but I can't until we get this issue fixed.  Our current workflow for using images is painfully slow, but useful.  I'm anticipating a great ROI for this feature.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 9 of 18
rl_jackson

Unfortunately you doom to have to wait for ADESK without a Map only install. Very good reason not to upgrade so soon, always wait for the first SP.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 10 of 18
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: rl_jackson

Usually do, I'm in the testing phase. That one of the reasons we haven't upgraded from 2012 yet, broken items. This seems to be the only issue that affects our workflow. It's not a deal breaker, but it's a darn awesome interface with the labels being included using the Roadway map from Bing.

Map3D can get 2 SPs out before C3D can get 1. I know C3D waits for Acad & Map because it's a vertical, I get that, but not all the C3D issues are predicated on Acad or Map.

Lisa
Lisa Pohlmeyer
Williamson County Dept. of Infrastructure<>
direct: 512-943-3364
main: 512-943-3330

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 11 of 18

Final update: Just as I suspected, since I don't have a "standard" install of Map3D, I can't install the Map3D SPs. Adesk is at SP2 for Map3D, and not even SP1 for Civil 3D.  I received this yesterday and I've got two options, wait or install Map3D.

Hi Lisa,

I'm just writing to follow-up with you on this.

So I found out that, at least for the 2015 releases, you will have to wait for a Civil 3D service pack to be released to fix any of the issues already fixed in AutoCAD or in Map 3D service packs. (Unless you have 'standard' AutoCAD or Map 3D already installed on the same system -- then you can get the fixes into Civil 3D early -- due to the restructuring of AutoCAD folders in 2015.)

I received confirmation from the Civil dev team that they are integrating the Map and AutoCAD fixes into their service pack. Unfortunately I do not have an ETA for this. But the Civil service pack should show up in the Application Manager as soon as it is available.

I'll go ahead and close this case now but feel free to reply to reopen it should you have any questions. Thanks.

Best regards,

Consider me not a fan of the new folder structure.  Smiley Mad

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 12 of 18
Cadguru42

@Anonymous wrote:

Final update: Just as I suspected, since I don't have a "standard" install of Map3D, I can't install the Map3D SPs. Adesk is at SP2 for Map3D, and not even SP1 for Civil 3D.  I received this yesterday and I've got two options, wait or install Map3D.

Hi Lisa,

I'm just writing to follow-up with you on this.

So I found out that, at least for the 2015 releases, you will have to wait for a Civil 3D service pack to be released to fix any of the issues already fixed in AutoCAD or in Map 3D service packs. (Unless you have 'standard' AutoCAD or Map 3D already installed on the same system -- then you can get the fixes into Civil 3D early -- due to the restructuring of AutoCAD folders in 2015.)

I received confirmation from the Civil dev team that they are integrating the Map and AutoCAD fixes into their service pack. Unfortunately I do not have an ETA for this. But the Civil service pack should show up in the Application Manager as soon as it is available.

I'll go ahead and close this case now but feel free to reply to reopen it should you have any questions. Thanks.

Best regards,

Consider me not a fan of the new folder structure.  Smiley Mad

I ran into the same issue and mentioned it in my 2015 bug/issue thread. I like where Autodesk is headed, but due to the time constraints of the idiotic yearly release cycle they haven't fully implemented the new system, which is why the service packs are still going to act like the old ones. I'm still not sure exactly how AutoCAD 2015 SP1 doesn't affect C3D 2015 since they both use the same acad.exe and same AutoCAD resources, but even the support person I talked with was confused. It doesn't help that Autodesk keeps saying that AutoCAD 2015 SP1 and the Map SP can be installed for those who have C3D from IDSP, which is technically true, but doesn't fix C3D. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 13 of 18
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: Cadguru42

I couldn't even install the Map SP. I installed the Acad SP because my Raster Design install required an install of Platform Acad.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 14 of 18
Cadguru42

@Anonymous wrote:
I couldn't even install the Map SP. I installed the Acad SP because my Raster Design install required an install of Platform Acad.

I never installed Map 2015 since Map is supposedly already a part of C3D. Like you noticed, I was required to install basic AutoCAD in order to get Raster Design. I wonder if Map 2015 is similar to C3D in that it's an addon to the vanilla AutoCAD and wouldn't take up as much space? 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 15 of 18
AllenJessup
in reply to: Cadguru42

@engrtech wrote:

I like where Autodesk is headed, but due to the time constraints of the idiotic yearly release cycle they haven't fully implemented the new system, which is why the service packs are still going to act like the old ones. I'm still not sure exactly how AutoCAD 2015 SP1 doesn't affect C3D 2015 since they both use the same acad.exe and same AutoCAD resources, but even the support person I talked with was confused. It doesn't help that Autodesk keeps saying that AutoCAD 2015 SP1 and the Map SP can be installed for those who have C3D from IDSP, which is technically true, but doesn't fix C3D. 

I'm not sure that there will ever come a time where you can SP AutoCAD or Map when you have Civil (except for stand alone through a Suite). There are just too many cases where the changes made in the SP will break something in Civil. until the Civil Dev. team has run through the changes, tested and Beta tested the changes in AutoCAD and Map and the updates in Civil. I think it could be a disaster installing an SP that hasn't been tested all the way up to Civil.

They don't catch everything even then. AutoCAD changed the structure of their Point Clouds in 2015. Civil 2015 couldn't create a Surface from an AutoCAD point cloud. So you couldn't bring in a 3D scan from a ReCap RCS file and create a Surface from the resultant Point Cloud. The fix for that was just released a couple of weeks ago.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 16 of 18
braudpat

Hello Lisa

Have you tried to install the SP 1 for CIVIL 2015 ?

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-aut...

Please try to install with : CLIC on the .EXE file and then Right Button then "Run as Administrator" ...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 17 of 18
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: braudpat

Yes, that's what this thread is about, right? I installed the SP and the WMS and WFS connections still don't work. I have checked that the FDO path is in my support paths, etc. As I said, I have an open case about this. Hopefully, with the release of SP1 for C3D and the fact that the connections still don't work, the focus will be on the "optimized" folder structure, my gut tells me that's where the issue lies.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 18 of 18

My apologies for the tone of my previous post, just frustrated.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report