Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2014 file NOT saving properly

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
wfberry
406 Views, 5 Replies

C3D 2014 file NOT saving properly

It just occurred to me that this problem may have just started after I installed SP 1 in Civil 3D Design Suite Premium 2014.  When I either SAVE or QSAVE I watch what is happening in Windows Explorer.  There is a .tmp file saved and the .dwg disappears.  So I save it again and it writes the dwg file.  When performing the first save I get the "Unable to save to drawing F:   . . . .", therfore the "dwg" is actually left as a .tmp.  I can change the .tmp file to a .dwg but it is easier to just SAVE (or Qsave) the second time.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I can say that when this first started I nearly panicked because the dwg was "Miiiiiiisssssiiinnnggg".

Bill

Windows 7 x 64 Professional
Nvidia GeForce 9800 & 8500
12 GB Ram
i7 965 @ 3.20 GHz
Corsair Force 240 GB SSD
Infrastructure Suite 2014 Premium SP1

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: wfberry

AutoCAD's save process is as follows:
Create the TMP file
delete the BAK file
Rename the DWG to BAK
Rename the TMP to DWG

Those are a lot if rights an OS (and server OS) must grant to AutoCAD and any patches. By chance did those get affected? SP1 patch in plain 2014 introduced no such issues here.
Message 3 of 6
rkmcswain

Message 4 of 6
wfberry
in reply to: rkmcswain

Randy:

Thanks to you and Dean.  After some time I did determine what was happening by watching Windows Explorer.  I am not on a Network, so that is out.

I ran a Repair, still no change.

I know I said that it may have been after I ran SP 1 on C3D 2014, now I seem to recall that it was after I ran SP 2 for C3D 2013.  Confusing, yes, however that particular SP 2 got my C3D 2013 going again after about 8 months of not working.

(15 minutes later)

OK, perhaps the sky is not falling after all.  I made a new directory in the same sub-directory as the "problem child" directory and it appears all is well.

Thanks to Dean and Randy.

Bill

Message 5 of 6
cfiorica

One our engineers has had this problem happen to him.  We are on C3D 2015 SP3.  So far it has just been his workstation.  We are on a network and files are saved directly to the network.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Carl M. Fiorica, P.E., LEED A.P.
BWE, Inc
9494 Balboa Ave, Ste 270
San Diego, CA 92123
Message 6 of 6
rkmcswain
in reply to: cfiorica

If the .BAK file is read only, the save process will fail.

Move, rename or otherwise get rid of the .BAK file and try again.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report