Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2014 .dwg , "out of memmory" in C3D 2013

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
lhampton
963 Views, 11 Replies

C3D 2014 .dwg , "out of memmory" in C3D 2013

Yesterday I encountered yet another (sigh) bug in the C3D 2013, some .dwg's saved out of 2014 will cause a "out of memory" shutdown error in civil 2013. The drawing im talking about has a very small surface in it with some line work. When I save it in 2014 then try and open it in 2013, 2013 locks up, eats all my memory, then crashes with "out of memory" (see screenshot).

BUT, if you "Export to dwg" then try and open the dwg, it works. Unfortunately this isnt a fix, because then we loose all the styles associated with the drawing.

See, I would include the file but it contains all of our styles, and since we spent so much money creating them, I cannot share them. If a Autodesk professional (do they actually hang out on the forums?) would like to see the file I can e-mail it.

Intel i7 2600 /z68 Gigabyte
8gigs DDR3 1800
Intel 320 Series SSD
Quadro 600 (1gig)
C3D 2016 / LDT 2009 / Win7 x64
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
lhampton
in reply to: lhampton

Also, the Dwg, and been audited, recovered, purged, -pu the whole works. Still crashes 2013.
8gigs DDR3 1800
Intel 320 Series SSD
Quadro 600 (1gig)
Message 3 of 12
Jeff_M

An FYI, most likely anyone here that may be able to help already has their own styles setup to their liking, therefor will have no interest or desire to use/borrow yours. There have been many discussions about this over the years, most ending with the same thoughts.... Now, if you are that concerned about it, you do know about the Purge Styles command? Set all of the default styles to Standard then purge out yours.... 

I've gotten drawings from many others and have never shared or used any of the information in them other than helping them to figure out a problem. I'm not with Autodesk, but I am an Authorized Developer with ADN. So if you'd like, I will take a look and see if I can shed some light, otherwise you may want to open a support case with Autodesk through your Subscription site. My email: jeffm AT quuxsoft DOT com

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 12
lhampton
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff, I just emailed you the file.

8gigs DDR3 1800
Intel 320 Series SSD
Quadro 600 (1gig)
Message 5 of 12
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

If you log a support ticket directly with Autodesk, you can upload the file directly to them. But as previously stated, I wouldn't worry about sharing styles. We all spent lots of time/effort creating our own.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 6 of 12

Although I readily share my templates with anyone who wants them. 🙂 BTW - I tried to edit my post, but the "options" button only takes me back to the top of the page.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 7 of 12
Jeff_M

There is something in one of the Grading objects that C3D2013 does not like. Exploding the gradings and adding the resulting 3dpolylines into the surface allows the drawing to open fine in 2013. I'm not sure which grading it was, as I exploded all 3 of them.

The good news is that this tells me they have improved the stability of Gradings in 2014. The bad news is that it looks like you can't work on some drawings in 2013 that have gradings created/edited in 2014.

EESignature
Message 8 of 12
jmayo-EE

"The good news is that this tells me they have improved the stability of Gradings in 2014. The bad news is that it looks like you can't work on some drawings in 2013 that have gradings created/edited in 2014."

I 've done one test on a simple detention basin in 14 and don't really care to test another... 😮

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
lhampton

Thanks for looking at it Jeff. We went back into the '14 dwg and killed the grading objects, saved and then it would open fine in '13. It would be nice if autodesk warned us about these things, but then again you cant expect a whole lot out of autodesk.

Thanks for looking.

8gigs DDR3 1800
Intel 320 Series SSD
Quadro 600 (1gig)
Message 10 of 12
fcernst

The good news is that this tells me they have improved the stability of Gradings in 2014. 

How do you come to that conclusion?

My experience was like John's. After a sending off a couple CER reports to Autodesk after hard crashing, I was done with testing grading objects in 2014. Never heard anything from Autodesk either on it.

Maybe you mean in relative terms between 2013 and 2014... but that isn't saying much...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: fcernst

Fred & John, I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions based on this one experience. Since the file opens and appears to work ok otherwise with 2014, but crashes 2013, it led me to that conclusion. However, I still use 2012 for production work so have no other basis for that opinion. If I could edit that post, I would.

EESignature
Message 12 of 12
jmayo-EE

No worries here Jeff. 🙂

AU4U?

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report