Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2014 SP1 - Medians Still Not Working

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
fcernst
9423 Views, 13 Replies

C3D 2014 SP1 - Medians Still Not Working

The ability to have Median assemblies cross Centerline has stlll not been restored in 2014. This was working in version 2013.

It was unacceptable to have the 2014 version be released without this working, and even more unacceptable to still not be addressed with SP1, and here entering November.

This was filed earlier this year as a defect. We need this capability for an urban corridor project ASAP.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
tcorey
in reply to: fcernst

So, Fred, are you gonna find a workaround or are you going to wait for Autodesk to fix it?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 14
Neilw_05
in reply to: tcorey

Tim,

Looking at this from the perspective of a designer with deadlines and budgets, how would you react to these issues when they occur over and over again?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 14
rl_jackson
in reply to: Neilw_05

This is just one more reason, ADesk should go back to a 3 yr release cycle, they obviously can not handle the yearly cycle as personally I saw no benefit, improvement or reason to upgrade from C3D13 to 14. And the only real improvements in 13 IMO was the addition of the Label by Points. Most already had a workaround for pressure pipes, although for those that use them often I sure it was a help and clusterf..... at the same time.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
lambertb
in reply to: rl_jackson

I guess things like this are I look at two platforms for a project

if they are design dominant -> use InRoads for its roadway designer and templates

or plans production dominant ->use C3D for its labeling

Now if through some magic pot of stew, these two could get together...

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 6 of 14
tcorey
in reply to: Neilw_05

@Neilw wrote:

Tim,

Looking at this from the perspective of a designer with deadlines and budgets, how would you react to these issues when they occur over and over again?

Hi Neil,

I'm not saying I like it when the software doesn't work as expected and I especially don't like it when it appears that errors are being ignored. 

What I am saying is that it is important to be willing to work around the software's deficiencies because there will always be some. I have been working with AutoCAD, DCA, Softdesk, Land Desktop and now Civil 3D for twenty-plus releases, as both a user and as a reseller. There are always bugs. C'est la vie. It's an imperfect world. 

Also, I don't think it's fair to rail against the inviduals at Autodesk who we consider to be "Senior Management." Even at that level, these are just working people like the rest of us. They come to work and try to do the best they can within the constraints imposed by their company. Has your boss ever told you no, you can't spend money on something you thought would benefit the company? Did you stamp your feet and say he should be fired or did you grit your teeth and go on with your job?

I am all for listing the errors here in the discussion group. That benefits everyone. What benefits no one is the angry tone of some of the posters.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 7 of 14
fcernst

...Has your boss ever told you no, you can't spend money on something you thought would benefit the company? Did you stamp your feet and say he should be fired or did you grit your teeth and go on with your job?...

How is this at all analguous to our perspective as Customers who are experiencing project downtime and loss of profitability due to continuing cyclical product defects and lack of quality control management with the design software that we have a significant and ongoing substantial monetary investment in?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 14
Neilw_05

Oh I agree with you are saying Tim. My point was when we as users encouter these defects it is very disruptive and often leads to hours or even days troubleshooting or finding a workaround. So simply saying go look for a workaround doesn't address the issue.

How we go about expressing the problem to the developers is another matter.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 14
tcorey

Another way of saying it would be, "When things don't go your way, do you stamp your feet and act petulant or do you get on with the work at hand?"

or

"If your tire blows, do you kick the tire and scream at the wind or do you go to your trunk, get your jack and get back on the highway?"

Anger doesn't help get the job done.

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 10 of 14
fcernst

What is your workaround for this Tim?

It needs to be as easy, and no more time consuming, as it was to do when it was working in earlier versions of the software.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

I had the same problem with my medians, and have figured out a fix for this!!

After 2 days of reworking corridors, rebuilding assemblies, and beating my head against the wall, I decided to start playing with some of the features in the corridor properties that I have never touched before.  Come to find out, the fix to this is to change ONE setting and it fixes the whole corridor.  See below...

4-4-2012_8-46-10_AM.png

Once I changed this from Inward to Outward, and rebuilt the corridor, it worked like a charm.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 12 of 14
fcernst
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

This has been logged as a defect by Autodesk. See the link below.

I tried  your Branching setting suggestion, and I still get incorrect Corridor and Corridor Section construction when crossing the Centerline. See the image below.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Confirmed-Defect-Medians/m-p/4380944/highligh...

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 13 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

Ah, crossing the alignment, totally different ballgame!

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 14 of 14

yeah although branching does fix the whole feature line cutting the wrong way thing.. it still leaves a hole in the featureline where it crosses the centre line..

MY solution is rather simple. develop your corridor off a different centre line. Its kind of annoying as it plays with you chainages but still it works.

Kapanther

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report