Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2013 to C3D2014

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
sfore
545 Views, 6 Replies

C3D 2013 to C3D2014

Looking for some feedback on several questions. 

What all is involved with migrating survey databases and such forward from C3D 2013 to C3d 2014? 

If I make the jump, which option below would be the best way to go to 2014:

OPTION 1 - saveas from the 2014 _AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt and import all my styles from my 2013 dwt. 

OPTION 2 - saveas from my current 2013 dwt (which derived fom the _Autocad Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt) and import any new styles from the 2014 dwt. 

I'm most concerned with the Survey side of things because we currently have a bunch of description ket sets, linework code sets, figure prefix database etc...

Also, we typically skip versions.  We currently use 2013 and my plan before today was to move to 2015 next spring/summer, but the question came up about 2014 now. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mathewkol
in reply to: sfore

Your wording is confusing me a little.  You mention upgrading te survey database from 2013 to 2014 and in another paragraph you mention upgrading a DWT.

Upgrading the survey database is just a matter of opening it once 2014 is installed.  the database will automatically upgrade.  There are no styles in a survey database.

Concerning the DWT, your best best would be to take your current DWT and simply SAVEAS to 2014.  If there are any styles in the 2014 DWt that you'd like, import them.  This is assuming you've actually made changes to the DWT after you started with the OOTB one.

You have to know that not everything comes over perfectly when importing from another DWT.  Starting a new DWT from scratch then importing styles and settings from your favorite DWT always requires more work than you'd think.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 7
sfore
in reply to: mathewkol

I meant once I derive of a 2014 dwt (either by Option 1 or 2), what all is involved with moving survey database forward with the files themselves (.edb_xdef, .fdb_xdef_.f2f_xdef, .fdb, .fdb_xdef, .ldb)?  Once 2014 is installed, do I need to right click on my projects inside Survey Toolspace and 'Migrate Survey Database'?  From my understanding, all 2013 survey projects will be flagged in 2014 until Migration is done.

I have never migrated Survey databases forward because we just recently got our Survey dept using the field to finish capablities within Civil 3D, so we never had a scenario where we had Survey Projects setup in 1 version with the need to work on them in a new version. 

I understand that there are no styles within the survey database.  I realize styles reside in dwt.

Ok, sounds like you recommend Option 2.  When I built my 2013 dwt last winter, I took the ootb 2013 ...Imperial NCS.dwt, saveas and imported all of my 2011 styles and then spent a month cleaning and weeding layers.  Never again will I do that.  Most of the time spent then was due to my old 2011 template wasn't setup with NCS Layering and all of my old styles were Object Layer driven with the component layers set to 0.  Never again.  I think you have more control when component layers are set to layers rather than 0.  Appreciate the feedback.

Message 4 of 7
mathewkol

NP, yes, you need to migrate any survey DB you want to use in 2014.  Remember, they can't be migrate back to 2013!

Matt Kolberg
Message 5 of 7
BrianHailey
in reply to: mathewkol

@mathewkol wrote:

NP, yes, you need to migrate any survey DB you want to use in 2014.  Remember, they can't be migrate back to 2013!

My understanding is 2013 and 2014 are compatible. I just opened C3D 2013 and imported figures and points from a survey database created in 2014 and they came in just fine. I also created a survey databse in 2013, opened it in 2014 and the points imported no problem with no migrating at all.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 7
BrianHailey
in reply to: BrianHailey

In face, here is a quick video showing that they are interoperable.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 7
mathewkol

Crap! Sorry for the mis-information. I never even considered the survey database to be compatible in 2014, but it makes sense.

Thanks Brian for straightening me out.
Matt Kolberg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report