Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2013 and 2014 deletes grading and feature lines

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
marc.liechti
391 Views, 9 Replies

C3D 2013 and 2014 deletes grading and feature lines

Why does C3D 2013/2014 randomly eliminate grading and/or grading feature lines when performing other grading/transition functions? Even just this morning, I performed a purge and audit, which resulted in 114 errors found and fixed. And when it did the fixing, it also erased a vast majority of the grading throughout a 2200 foot corridor. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
wfberry
in reply to: marc.liechti

I always do an Audit before every save.  I may do this 4-6 times an hour.  It just come naturally if you apply a "short hand" to each operation.

Bill

Message 3 of 10
jmayo-EE

To gain a little insight Google, "Civil 3D Grading" without the quotes and notice the number of links.

Now Google, "Civil 3D corrupt grading" and note the number of links.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
marc.liechti
in reply to: wfberry

@wfberry wrote:

I always do an Audit before every save.  I may do this 4-6 times an hour.  It just come naturally if you apply a "short hand" to each operation.

Bill

Thank you, Bill. While I do not perform an audit prior to every save, I do perform them regularly during my AutoCAD sessions. It still begs the question as why some feature lines and at times, entire sections of grading disappear when performing other grading commands. Today was the first time an audit deleted major portions of grading for me.

Message 5 of 10
marc.liechti
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@jmayo wrote:

To gain a little insight Google, "Civil 3D Grading" without the quotes and notice the number of links.

Now Google, "Civil 3D corrupt grading" and note the number of links.

Interesting. A million more hits......

Message 6 of 10
jmayo-EE

When I did this on the 12th it was alomost 2 million more...

Some of my rules.

Do not leave live gradings in a final design file. I'm ok with rebuilding a few gradings EARLY in a project when the design is being fine tuned. Once the design is final, copy the base feature line and resulting grading feature lines to a new site and build FG with these. Delete the site grading site.

or if you are working with grading surfaces, detach the surface from the grading and then delete the site.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
jmayo-EE

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
marc.liechti

@jmayo wrote:

When I did this on the 12th it was alomost 2 million more...

Some of my rules.

Do not leave live gradings in a final design file. I'm ok with rebuilding a few gradings EARLY in a project when the design is being fine tuned. Once the design is final, copy the base feature line and resulting grading feature lines to a new site and build FG with these. Delete the site grading site.

or if you are working with grading surfaces, detach the surface from the grading and then delete the site.

Good advice, John. Thank you. However, I can't seem to get C3D to let me get to a final design. I've even moved any alignments to a different site just on the off chance they are impacting the grading. No parcels are built yet so I know that is not an issue. It seems to just rnadomly delete a daylight grading or a feature line defining the exterior of a grading randomly throughout the project when I am performing a grading function, for example. If I attempt to edit a grading, it may just delete half of it all! FYI, this is the second attempt at grading this particular project. I started this second dwg from a clean copy. 

Message 9 of 10
jmayo-EE

If you want to post a file I may have time to take a look and provide further recommendations.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
marc.liechti

@jmayo wrote:

If you want to post a file I may have time to take a look and provide further recommendations.

I'd love to.... however, the file is quite large at about 35Mb. Seems like the limitation is around 5Mb, if I recall.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report