Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2013 Surface Visible but Layer Turned Off

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
RJD2718
1377 Views, 14 Replies

C3D 2013 Surface Visible but Layer Turned Off

I just had C3D 2013 reinstalled on my LT and having a surface visibility issue. This may be just a command setting issue but I have a surface and created it on a particular layer that I can't make invisible.

Then I turned that layer off so I could work on other things. Now when I do a REGEN that surface becomes visible in my drawing yet the layer identified in its properties is turned off.

If I got to VIEW and ORBIT the surface disappears until I stop rotating then it’s visible again. I like to control visibility by turning layers on or off but this isn’t allowing me to turn it off.

If I make the surface layer current and do a rebuild the surface moves back to that layer and I can then turn that layer off to make the surface invisible.

Why is this surface visible when its layer is turned off?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
troma
in reply to: RJD2718

You are running into the difference between object layers and style layers. The surface as an object in on one layer, but it is set to a certain style, which uses other layers. If you edit the style you can figure out what layers you need to switch off.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 15
RJD2718
in reply to: troma

You might be on to something. Forgive the silly question but how do I make the triangles and contours stay on the same layer as the surface object?

I don't remember this being an issue in the past so I assume the template I'm now using is set up different.

Message 4 of 15
troma

Generally if I need to I make a new style (or copy an existing one) and set all the layers in the style to the same as the surface object layer. Then you should be able to turn it off by using the LAYOFF command and just clicking on the surface.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 15
RJD2718

That may work but what if I want to use that same style for another surface? It seems I'd have to make a style for each surface and I don't think that how it was setup before when I wasn't having this problem.

I now have two surfaces in my drawing and everytime I do a regen they both become visible on the current layer.

Message 6 of 15
troma

Have a look here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-Wishes/Toggle-surface-display-on-off/m-p/3723260#M752...

That might help you.

Or you could use the suggestion later in that thread to just 'hide objects'.

I'm not sure how a surface could physically change the layer it is on from a regen, are you sure that's what's happening?

Mark Green

Message 7 of 15
troma

Or set everything in the style to layer 0 (zero). They seem to obey the display of the object layer better that way.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 15
DaveM

7-15-2013 4-47-29 PM.png

According to an article I read from Eagle Point, if the style calls out 0 like the picture above, it does not get drawn on layer 0 it gets drawn on the layer that the surface itself is on.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 9 of 15
RJD2718

I'm going to read through that old trhead you linked, it should have the answer.

Thanks

Message 10 of 15
MLopezM

Have you tried object layers? I'm usin C3D2013 and control the displaying of my surfaces the same way that you do and haven't had any problem so far. Maybe this would help, this would cause all TIN surfaces you create to go into a different layer named after that surface. And if you hide the layer, the surface does not display regardless of the style you're using:

Object layers

Message 11 of 15
RJD2718
in reply to: MLopezM

Thanks for the tip.

I just tried and it didn’t seem to work for me.

I applied those setting then selected the surface layer as the current layer.

Then did a rebuild and the triangles were drawn on that surface layer.

I then selected a different layer as the current layer and turned off the surface layer.

Then did a regen and the triangles appeared on screen in the color of what is the new current layer.

Maybe layer control isn’t the way to control surface visibility. I got into that habit from Terramodel. Another source of problems may come the new template I’m now using. It had hundreds of layers I didn’t want so I used LAYDEL to get rid of them. It seems there are setting that refers to those deleted layers. I’m new to C3D and when playing with it a few months back I though at that time I could control visibility with layers. I had a drawing with 3 surfaces and I don’t remember having the issues I’m now having. It might have been the template I used at that time or I may be wrong in what I’m attempting to do.

Message 12 of 15
troma

I think you should try doing a combination of both those screenshots. dmartin shows the surface style and MLopezM shows the object layer settings. The layer settings are helpful, but I think the style is key.

Mark Green

Message 13 of 15
RJD2718

Yeah I can now control surface visibility by turning style to none so I can get by for now. I though I was doing okay but seems I have a lot to learn about C3D.

Message 14 of 15
troma

Well that works for sure, but I think there's a way that's closer to your original goal. Did you try it with the layers set to zero, display on, and just turn off the layer?

As for C3D, we all have lots to learn, and asking questions is the best way. Keep coming back with more of them! Soon you'll be answering them too.

Mark Green

Message 15 of 15
RJD2718

I just checked and there was no layer selected it was just blank. I guess because I had deleted all the template layers. So under Surface Style / Display I selected layer 0 for all listed unser Component Type and it seems to work. I turn off the surface layer and do a drawing regen or surface rebuild and I don't see anything related to that surface. I don't know why I missed that yesterday.

Seems the other surfaces stay on there layer also.

I better make a note of this, I could see myself scratching my head about this one again in the future.

Thats the solution

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report