Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2013: Changing TOP view to TOP-Front view for 2 overlapped points

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
scottchang
1293 Views, 7 Replies

C3D 2013: Changing TOP view to TOP-Front view for 2 overlapped points

Hi all,

I created 8 points (4 locations with 2 depths in each location) in the DWG of my AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 project. I grouped these 8 points into 2 Point Groups: Point Group 1-high depth has Points #1, #3, #5, #7, and Point Group 2-low depth has #2, #4, #6, #8. I changed the 2D Wireframe to 3D Wireframe and on TOP view I saw Point Group 1 is on the top of Point Group 2 (because the 2 Point Groups have the same values of X- and Y-coordinates with different Z(elevation) value - see the first attached file. How can I change the TOP view to the TOP-FRONT view by using some Command to get this fixed TOP-Front view thar has the good separation of the 2 depths as shown in the second attached file?  Please kindly help and advise.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Chang.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mathewkol
in reply to: scottchang

Use the view cube in the top-right of your screen. Click the "edge" between the Top and Front faces.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 8
scottchang
in reply to: mathewkol

Hi Matt, Thanks for your response.

I did as you instructed and all the points are disappeared from my screen!!! I clicked on the Zoom Extents and noting showed up on the screen either!!?  I have no ideas what is going on!!  Please tell me why I have this problem.

Thanks,

Scott Chang

Message 4 of 8
mathewkol

I'm not near my computer so give me a while and I'll check. It's most likely your point style view direction "model" has the components turned off. Ensure those are turned on.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 8
Neilw_05

Are you aware of the preconfigured Isometric views that are available? Please consult the help system for how to use these views.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 8
Neilw_05

Also, you can save a view that you like and recall it any time. Search the help system for topics related to naming and  saving views.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 7 of 8
scottchang
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hi Matt and Neil,

I was lucky to have the following steps for getting the TOP-Front view for separating the 2 overlapped points:

1. Select a Point and go to Properties

2. Select Style field and click on Create/Edit

3. Select to Edit style

4. From Display tab of Point Style, set View Direction from "Plan" to "Model"

5. Turn on Marker and Label and Apply.

Then I use the Rotation Cube to turn the TOP view to the TOP-Front view to get the desired separation of the 2 overlapped points.  It works, but I am not sure why I have to use the View Direction "Model" (in Step 4) and to turn on "Marker" and "Label" (in Step 5) to make it works.  Can you explain this for me? 

I cannot find anything about the "precofigured Isometric views" so far.  Do you have any information about the "preconfigured isometric views" to share with me/new users?

Please comment on what I said/asked and respond.

Thanks,

Scott Chang

Message 8 of 8
Neilw_05

Scott,

Civil 3D objects such as surfaces, corridors, alignments, points and profiles can be configured to display differently depending on it's view orientation. For example when viewing a surface in plan view you typically want to see the contours but not the triangles. However if you want to inspect the terrain in a 3D orientation you'll likely want to view the triangles with a shaded view style. So in the styles for those types of objects there are settings that control what is displayed when the object is viewed in a few different view orientations.

To see how it works,try displaying a surface with a contour-only style in plan view and then view it in an isometric view or with 3D orbit or object viewer. Likely the triangles will display in the isometric view. Then look at the style and note that the Model view settings will have triangles turned on.

As for my comment about preconfigured isometric views, I was merely referring to the NW, NE, SW, SE views that are on the standard Autocad View tool bar. You can also access those views by picking the hyperlink text in the upper left corner of the graphics window.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report