Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2013: CDC8pts.dwg-How to annotate Add Labels & Tables?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
scottchang
407 Views, 3 Replies

C3D 2013: CDC8pts.dwg-How to annotate Add Labels & Tables?

Hi all,

I managed to input the values of "Point  Number", "Easting", "Northing", "Point Elevation" for 8 points of my CDC project that has 4 Sampling Locations with 2 Depths in each location - see the attched file for details. I also manually added the SampleID to the "Name" of each point. Now I want to do the following 2 things via the "Annotate" menu:

1) Add Labels:  Instead of Point Number, I want to use the SampleID to label each point. How can I do it?

2) Add Tables: I have some chemical results/data (in Excel .csv file) for each point.  I want to attach these chemical results/data to each point.  Should I create an external Database? How can I designate that external Database is for the 8 points of my CDC8pts.dwg? How can use the external Database to label the chemical results/data to each point?

I have read some tutorials (Point Properties, Editing Points, etc.) and the C3D HELP and I still have no ideas how to do 1) and 2).

Please kindly help me in these 2 areas and respond.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Chang

P. S.

(i) I rotated my CDC8pts.dwg several times - the current view is from the Bottom of Z-axis and the Point Numbers are in the reversed mode!!  How can I set the Point Numbers in the normal mode? If the Point Numbers are replaced by the SampleID, how can I set the SampleID in the normal mode too?

(ii) I saw the "Point Groups"/All Points thing on my CDC8pts.dwg, they appeared in this dwg, after I did the inputting for the "Point Number", "Easting", "Northing", "Point Elevation".  Should I do something on the "Point Group" before I do 1) and 2)? 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
odoshi
in reply to: scottchang

To return your drawing to a top view, type PLAN and press enter for <World>.

To import CSV data, create User Defined Property Classifications for each column in the CSV

Then create a Point File Format with columns to match your CSV file/User Defined Properties

Then import points from CSV.

Next, create a Point Label style that will label your User Defined Properties and assign it to your Point Group.

See my old abandoned blog here 🙂

civildisobedience3d.wordpress.com

Regards,

Mike

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 3 of 4
scottchang
in reply to: odoshi

Hi Mike, Thanks for your nice, valuable response.

I used the regular AutoCAD a little bit several years ago and I am very new in using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013.

1) I typed the Command "PLAN" and pressed <World> to get the top view back!!  How can I change the "Point Number" to the "Name" for displaying my SampleID for each point?

2) How can I create a Point Label style that will label my User Defined Properties and assign it to my Point Group? By the way, do I have to set up my Point Group first? How to do it?

Please kindly help and give me the more detailed instructions to get 2) done.

3) I am not sure I understand your statements "To import CSV data....Then create a Point File Format with columns to match.... Then import points from CSV" completely!!  Sorry for my ignorance on these steps.  Please enlighten me more on these steps.

Please respond again,

Many Thanks,

Scott Chang

P.S.  I have 3 books of AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013: (i) AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Essential by Eric Chappell, (ii) A Practical Guide to AutoCAD Civil 2013 by Rick Ellis, and (iii) Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 by Loisa Holland & Kati Mercier. They don't cover the 1), 2) and 3) much for the new users of AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013. 

Message 4 of 4
odoshi
in reply to: scottchang

HI Scott, please see my blog link on my last post for more details on creating a label style. It is a few pages long, and to much to retype.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report