Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2011 (and 2012) strange lockup

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
pyroclast
680 Views, 5 Replies

C3D 2011 (and 2012) strange lockup

I've a problem, mainly with C3D2011 but also with C3D2012 since I just started to use that version.

When I'm working with the program it all of a sudden locks up, the windows wheel is spinning and my toolpalettes and drawing window "flashes". This goes on for about 5 to 10 minutes and then the program goes back to normal. I cannot pinpoint if this happens when using a certain command, it feels like it appears randomly. And just to be clear, it is not the "turn off and on hardware acceleration" problem 🙂

I use a Dell M6400, QX9300 processor, 8 Gb RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700M, W7 Ultimate 64, dual screens.

When I use the performance monitor I can see that all the four cores uses about 80-100 % of their capacity but C3D (in red, not responding) only uses 25% = 100 % of one core.

None of my colleagues are experiencing the same problem, but they are using stationary workstations, so I'm actually suspecting it could be some kind of a hardware problem, but C3D is the only program I have problems with.

Maybe some one of you out there have an idea what kind of computer disease this could be 🙂

/Peter

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
OMCUSNR
in reply to: pyroclast

Questions -

Does it happen with all drawings or just one?

Are you dealing with large data sets, like point clouds or very large shape files?

Mine will slow down considerably when dealing with the county's tax map.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 3 of 6
pyroclast
in reply to: OMCUSNR

It happens to all of my drawings. I usually work with files about 2-2.6 MB, sometimes up to 7-8 MB. The last time the "problem" appeared, I drew a simple polyline and the time before that, I worked with a xline. The "problem" has also occurred when just panning a drawing.

I have tested to work with point clouds and also observed the system slow down because of the large data set 🙂

/Peter

Message 4 of 6
hgohel

pyroclast:

Look for a recent thread about updating the BIOS helping Sinc and others get better behavior on systems that previously exhibited the busy cursor/not responding.

Just last week I ran into a problem with a dreaded Blue Screen of Death on my Win7 system until I found a hotfix from Microsoft for the issue...Windows Updates only distribute the most widely applicable updates on to systems, but others may be needed for specific systems/configuration.

DELL may have specific Windows hotfixes that are applicable to your system also, so please check their site too.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 6
pyroclast
in reply to: hgohel

Bios up to date...

All available hotfixes installed...

But I hope I have found the solution. I replaced my graphic card (incl. heat sink and fan) which where running a little bit to hot. No lockup or strange behavior since Friday Smiley Happy 

/Peter 

Message 6 of 6
pyroclast

A month have passed since I replaced my graphic card. No "strange lockups" have occured after that...just the usual fatal errors Smiley Happy

/Peter 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report