Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2011 - Rotate Points/Symbols but NOT Labels

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
BtimmermanMMS
756 Views, 11 Replies

C3D 2011 - Rotate Points/Symbols but NOT Labels

I have tried to follow a few of the other posts about getting points to rotate, but have the labels be independent of the symbols when rotating. I have my label style set to view under the orientation reference, but still have the labels being rotated while in model space to the rotation angle of the point (using grips).

I would simply like to be able to grip edit my symbol to rotate it accordingly.

For whatever reason - C3D 2011 is giving me grief with this simple task. Why?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
sboon
in reply to: BtimmermanMMS

Based on your description it should be working correctly.

Can you post the drawing?  If not then maybe just post your template drawing so that we can look at your styles.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 12
BtimmermanMMS
in reply to: sboon

I"ve left the drawing zoomed into the symbols that I've been trying to rotate. Storm Intake and a power pole to the right side of intake. It was a simple selection/grip edit/rotate/ and then the issue with label rotating with symbol. Confused...

Thanks for the assistance.

Message 4 of 12
SethHall

Message 5 of 12
BtimmermanMMS
in reply to: SethHall

Not sure why it isn't working, but I've tried with View and WCS and the labels still rotate with marker. What the heck am I missing? See drawing I have attached to previous post.

Message 6 of 12
sboon

The problem might be in how you're selecting the point for editing.

When I select one of your points I get two cyan grips that pop up - a diamond shape centered on the symbol and a square one above that.  If I hover over the square grip then I get a tooltip popup that allows me to move and rotate the label, but not the symbol.  If I hover over the diamond grip then I get another popup that includes options for rotating just the symbol or both the symbol and label.

I'm doing this in 2012, and I don't know if 2011 uses the same method or it may be the older style of control like Seth's blog post.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 12
BtimmermanMMS
in reply to: sboon

Don't see that in C3D 2011 - must be a new feature built into 2012.

Message 8 of 12
SethHall

I get "drawing file is not valid" when attempting to open your file.

Additionally, I believe the new features in 2012 allow this to be accomplished. My blog post was written in 2010 I believe. Maybe try to go through the blog post again, and see if that helps.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 9 of 12
stacy.dunn

The "Orientation Reference" of label style "MMS Standard" is set to Object.  Set it to "view" and it will rotate the way you want.

before:

before.PNG

after:

after.PNG

Stacy Dunn
Message 10 of 12
BtimmermanMMS
in reply to: SethHall

Hmmm...Anyone else having issues with getting that file to Open?

I'm attaching a zip file done from the eTransmit in C3D 2011. I did an open with file and no errors on my end.

Anyway...for what it is worth - here is the eTransmit file (Zip file)

Message 11 of 12

J.H.C.

I"ve been sitting here making changes to the wrong **** label style and if i would have just stepped away from the forest i could have seen the trees!

Thank You - Everyone.

Now - next issue.

How do i get the labels to freeze by picking them with the layer freeze button?

When i do it - the entire point/labels freeze. I'd like to be able to freeze any point/label with out having to go into the layer dialoge and freezing the DESC layer. What is the method i've resorted to now.

Sorry for the two for one on this...

Message 12 of 12
stacy.dunn

That is not possible with Civil 3d (currently).  You will have to use a third party solution like Sincpac.

http://www.quuxsoft.com/SincpacC3D_Help/SP_LayerFreeze.htm

Stacy Dunn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report