Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2005 concurrent with LDT 2004?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
207 Views, 6 Replies

C3D 2005 concurrent with LDT 2004?

Hey Gang; Would someone please address this issue, being can we run C3D 2005 along with LDT 2004? We attended the Express Tour in Anaheim last week, and this same question came up about 3 to 5 times. My recollection is that the answer was that the DWG formats are the same. So it sounded very much like the presenters considered it a non-issue. But there seems to be a controversy developing here regarding whether we can write data back and forth between the products seamlessly. Any thoughts or data on the matter would be greatly appreciated. TIA -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Don, You can have both products running on the same system The DWG is the same version between LDT 2004 and Civil 3D 2005 LDT Import in Civil 3D will read the LDT 2004 data (no format change). You can also move data between the two apps using LandXML. One thing you're missing in LDT 2004 is the "extract Civil 3D objects" command that was introduced in LDT 2005. This helps with the round trip process. The only issue that I can think of is that you cannot Object Enable LDT 2004 with the Civil 3D 2005 Enabler. You'll end up with proxy objects (you can see them, plot them, etc. However you can't edit any of the civil objects). Worse case, you can use the "Export to AutoCAD" command (file menu) to create a copy of the Civil 3D drawing where all the objects are converted into native AutoCAD entities. There may be other ways to make the process more efficient for you, but it depends on what you're doing in each product. Note - we are having a weekly webcast that focuses on using LDT and Civil 3D together in a few weeks. We can talk more about this specific case in the session. Hope this helps... DAS "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418fd240_1@newsprd01... Hey Gang; Would someone please address this issue, being can we run C3D 2005 along with LDT 2004? We attended the Express Tour in Anaheim last week, and this same question came up about 3 to 5 times. My recollection is that the answer was that the DWG formats are the same. So it sounded very much like the presenters considered it a non-issue. But there seems to be a controversy developing here regarding whether we can write data back and forth between the products seamlessly. Any thoughts or data on the matter would be greatly appreciated. TIA -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks, oh great Kahuna! I'm glad I checked the NG one last time before I went home. :-) This will save a co-worker from having to install LDT 2005 tonight! -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:419027d2$1_1@newsprd01... Hi Don, You can have both products running on the same system The DWG is the same version between LDT 2004 and Civil 3D 2005 LDT Import in Civil 3D will read the LDT 2004 data (no format change). You can also move data between the two apps using LandXML. One thing you're missing in LDT 2004 is the "extract Civil 3D objects" command that was introduced in LDT 2005. This helps with the round trip process. The only issue that I can think of is that you cannot Object Enable LDT 2004 with the Civil 3D 2005 Enabler. You'll end up with proxy objects (you can see them, plot them, etc. However you can't edit any of the civil objects). Worse case, you can use the "Export to AutoCAD" command (file menu) to create a copy of the Civil 3D drawing where all the objects are converted into native AutoCAD entities. There may be other ways to make the process more efficient for you, but it depends on what you're doing in each product. Note - we are having a weekly webcast that focuses on using LDT and Civil 3D together in a few weeks. We can talk more about this specific case in the session. Hope this helps... DAS "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418fd240_1@newsprd01... Hey Gang; Would someone please address this issue, being can we run C3D 2005 along with LDT 2004? We attended the Express Tour in Anaheim last week, and this same question came up about 3 to 5 times. My recollection is that the answer was that the DWG formats are the same. So it sounded very much like the presenters considered it a non-issue. But there seems to be a controversy developing here regarding whether we can write data back and forth between the products seamlessly. Any thoughts or data on the matter would be greatly appreciated. TIA -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

How do I get in on the webcasts? TIA. "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:419027d2$1_1@newsprd01... Hi Don, You can have both products running on the same system The DWG is the same version between LDT 2004 and Civil 3D 2005 LDT Import in Civil 3D will read the LDT 2004 data (no format change). You can also move data between the two apps using LandXML. One thing you're missing in LDT 2004 is the "extract Civil 3D objects" command that was introduced in LDT 2005. This helps with the round trip process. The only issue that I can think of is that you cannot Object Enable LDT 2004 with the Civil 3D 2005 Enabler. You'll end up with proxy objects (you can see them, plot them, etc. However you can't edit any of the civil objects). Worse case, you can use the "Export to AutoCAD" command (file menu) to create a copy of the Civil 3D drawing where all the objects are converted into native AutoCAD entities. There may be other ways to make the process more efficient for you, but it depends on what you're doing in each product. Note - we are having a weekly webcast that focuses on using LDT and Civil 3D together in a few weeks. We can talk more about this specific case in the session. Hope this helps... DAS "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418fd240_1@newsprd01... Hey Gang; Would someone please address this issue, being can we run C3D 2005 along with LDT 2004? We attended the Express Tour in Anaheim last week, and this same question came up about 3 to 5 times. My recollection is that the answer was that the DWG formats are the same. So it sounded very much like the presenters considered it a non-issue. But there seems to be a controversy developing here regarding whether we can write data back and forth between the products seamlessly. Any thoughts or data on the matter would be greatly appreciated. TIA -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hi, www.autodesk.com/civil3d and then click on demonstration. -- Brian Hailey LDT2005 C3D2005 XP Pro - SP 2 P4 2.8GHz 1.00 GB of RAM "Dave Drahn" wrote in message news:419e3e01$1_1@newsprd01... How do I get in on the webcasts? TIA. "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:419027d2$1_1@newsprd01... Hi Don, You can have both products running on the same system The DWG is the same version between LDT 2004 and Civil 3D 2005 LDT Import in Civil 3D will read the LDT 2004 data (no format change). You can also move data between the two apps using LandXML. One thing you're missing in LDT 2004 is the "extract Civil 3D objects" command that was introduced in LDT 2005. This helps with the round trip process. The only issue that I can think of is that you cannot Object Enable LDT 2004 with the Civil 3D 2005 Enabler. You'll end up with proxy objects (you can see them, plot them, etc. However you can't edit any of the civil objects). Worse case, you can use the "Export to AutoCAD" command (file menu) to create a copy of the Civil 3D drawing where all the objects are converted into native AutoCAD entities. There may be other ways to make the process more efficient for you, but it depends on what you're doing in each product. Note - we are having a weekly webcast that focuses on using LDT and Civil 3D together in a few weeks. We can talk more about this specific case in the session. Hope this helps... DAS "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418fd240_1@newsprd01... Hey Gang; Would someone please address this issue, being can we run C3D 2005 along with LDT 2004? We attended the Express Tour in Anaheim last week, and this same question came up about 3 to 5 times. My recollection is that the answer was that the DWG formats are the same. So it sounded very much like the presenters considered it a non-issue. But there seems to be a controversy developing here regarding whether we can write data back and forth between the products seamlessly. Any thoughts or data on the matter would be greatly appreciated. TIA -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

And this will get you there immediately; http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3856538 -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:419e5563_2@newsprd01... Hi, www.autodesk.com/civil3d and then click on demonstration. -- Brian Hailey LDT2005 C3D2005 XP Pro - SP 2 P4 2.8GHz 1.00 GB of RAM "Dave Drahn" wrote in message news:419e3e01$1_1@newsprd01... How do I get in on the webcasts? TIA. "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:419027d2$1_1@newsprd01... Hi Don, You can have both products running on the same system The DWG is the same version between LDT 2004 and Civil 3D 2005 LDT Import in Civil 3D will read the LDT 2004 data (no format change). You can also move data between the two apps using LandXML. One thing you're missing in LDT 2004 is the "extract Civil 3D objects" command that was introduced in LDT 2005. This helps with the round trip process. The only issue that I can think of is that you cannot Object Enable LDT 2004 with the Civil 3D 2005 Enabler. You'll end up with proxy objects (you can see them, plot them, etc. However you can't edit any of the civil objects). Worse case, you can use the "Export to AutoCAD" command (file menu) to create a copy of the Civil 3D drawing where all the objects are converted into native AutoCAD entities. There may be other ways to make the process more efficient for you, but it depends on what you're doing in each product. Note - we are having a weekly webcast that focuses on using LDT and Civil 3D together in a few weeks. We can talk more about this specific case in the session. Hope this helps... DAS "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418fd240_1@newsprd01... Hey Gang; Would someone please address this issue, being can we run C3D 2005 along with LDT 2004? We attended the Express Tour in Anaheim last week, and this same question came up about 3 to 5 times. My recollection is that the answer was that the DWG formats are the same. So it sounded very much like the presenters considered it a non-issue. But there seems to be a controversy developing here regarding whether we can write data back and forth between the products seamlessly. Any thoughts or data on the matter would be greatly appreciated. TIA -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you. "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:419e5563_2@newsprd01... Hi, www.autodesk.com/civil3d and then click on demonstration. -- Brian Hailey LDT2005 C3D2005 XP Pro - SP 2 P4 2.8GHz 1.00 GB of RAM "Dave Drahn" wrote in message news:419e3e01$1_1@newsprd01... How do I get in on the webcasts? TIA. "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:419027d2$1_1@newsprd01... Hi Don, You can have both products running on the same system The DWG is the same version between LDT 2004 and Civil 3D 2005 LDT Import in Civil 3D will read the LDT 2004 data (no format change). You can also move data between the two apps using LandXML. One thing you're missing in LDT 2004 is the "extract Civil 3D objects" command that was introduced in LDT 2005. This helps with the round trip process. The only issue that I can think of is that you cannot Object Enable LDT 2004 with the Civil 3D 2005 Enabler. You'll end up with proxy objects (you can see them, plot them, etc. However you can't edit any of the civil objects). Worse case, you can use the "Export to AutoCAD" command (file menu) to create a copy of the Civil 3D drawing where all the objects are converted into native AutoCAD entities. There may be other ways to make the process more efficient for you, but it depends on what you're doing in each product. Note - we are having a weekly webcast that focuses on using LDT and Civil 3D together in a few weeks. We can talk more about this specific case in the session. Hope this helps... DAS "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:418fd240_1@newsprd01... Hey Gang; Would someone please address this issue, being can we run C3D 2005 along with LDT 2004? We attended the Express Tour in Anaheim last week, and this same question came up about 3 to 5 times. My recollection is that the answer was that the DWG formats are the same. So it sounded very much like the presenters considered it a non-issue. But there seems to be a controversy developing here regarding whether we can write data back and forth between the products seamlessly. Any thoughts or data on the matter would be greatly appreciated. TIA -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report