Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breakline (or anything else) to prevent triangles ?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
xtcgr1981
556 Views, 8 Replies

Breakline (or anything else) to prevent triangles ?

As you see in the link below

http://imageshack.com/a/img834/2680/v30b.png

there are some points that are seperated from a retaining wall (in the plan you can see the piles numbered). Issue is that i cannot prevent points from connecting with each other in order to make triangles. Used breaklines such as "wall" but seems it doesnt work. Also deleting triangle lines between them didnt no benefit either. Any help would be highly appreciated! 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ccoles
in reply to: xtcgr1981

The breaklines are supposed to match grade at the top and bottom of the wall and be added to the surface definitions to take effect. Once added, you will see triangles follow the breaklines along the top and bottom of the wall.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 9
xtcgr1981
in reply to: ccoles

so breaklines wont help....i m looking for smth like alignment as a "border line"

Message 4 of 9
witzel

Are you trying to create a wall?  Walls in Civil 3d can not be truly vertical.  If you need the green line to be the base of the wall and match existing, create a breakline and drape it on the existing surface.  To create the top of the wall either offset slightly I usually use .1' so I can visually see the difference between the lines, or optionally create a grading object that grades to the top of the wall.

If you just dont want triangles/contours to show in the area bounded by the green line, under the surface definition, use the green line as a hide boundary.

Hope that helps,

Conan Witzel

Message 5 of 9
wfberry

I am trying to determine what you are wanting to show.  Do you want existing ground showing with the wall "sticking" up through it?

Run a feature line around the wall at the base with the appropriate ground elevations.  Add this to the surface and use it as Hide boundary.  You may need to add several nodes along the feature line.

Bill

Message 6 of 9
xtcgr1981

thnx everybody for your interest,

points 271,272, etc describe ground. Difference is that 271, 274 describe earth ground while 272,273 etc describe excavated ground. In other words, there is an alteration in altitude. The 2 green lines are the limits of the pilehead. It doesnt matter if ground sticks with wall, i just want to make a barrier so points such as 272 - 274 dont connect.

Message 7 of 9
witzel

I think in your case what you will really need is two surfaces.  One for existing ground and one for excavated ground.  That seems the simpliest so0lution to me.

An option would be to run a polyline along the points that bound each type and use it as a boundary, but it appears that two surfaces might be best.

Thanks,

Conan Witzel

Message 8 of 9
xtcgr1981
in reply to: witzel

considering boundary i didnt find one boundary type to match my needs, which one would you recommend me?

Message 9 of 9
witzel

The more I think about it the more I think separate surfaces is your best option.  

It appears that a hide boundary would be complicated.  You would basically have to go point to point.  You wouldn't be able to use the green lines from your image.

Thanks,

Conan Witzel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report